DMZ design

So, users in the LAN people that must process the orders, people that must see the real-time data, have not connection to the DMZ1 database? That sure sounds like a static DB to me, and static is simple and easy to secure without any complications.

How do you handle where the LAN users must access the real-time database information to process orders, to do misc things with the data, to run custom reports (like developers) and still block complete access to the database server in DMZ1?

What makes you think that the Admin Interface using RDP from the LAN won't allow the compromised DMZ1 Dabase server to ride back into the LAN? What makes you think that the "file transfer" method won't allow a compromised file or other back into the LAN.....

Like it or not, if you want LAN systems to have real-time access to the database that also serves the web, you have exposure and you can't block it.

Reply to
Leythos
Loading thread data ...

It's not about "easy", it's about money. A realistic risk analysis verses costs. Some's worth it, some's not.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

As I said: even if I use (live-)replication, I'm not likely to be vulnerable to the same exploit. And even if I were: my exposure would be

*at most* as high as it were in your scenario.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Anything not easy is going to cost money, so it's the same.

Honestly, don't most of those "realistic" risk analyses amount to "it's more likely to hit others first, so we don't need to spend money on that now", until they actually get hit?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

So, we're on the same page and just not seeing it. If the exposure is the same for real-time access, then it's not worth doing it with multiple DMZ's.

Reply to
Leythos

Disagree. Often the easiest thing is to throw money on it.

Nope. Not if they are done right.

Another thing... it's kind of ridiculous to spend much time and money to protect a system without real data storage that you can rebuild and have back to original in an hour. Just depends. OTOH, it could be that an hour of downtime would cost your company thousands or millions. Just depends.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Often, I find it isn't about money. It is about the politics. Most of us get to inherit stuff. As a consultant you inherit almost everything. If the existing system is foully organized and exposes the company to problems, capacity, security, performance, or capability problems, there is all too often a desire to ignore and hide the problem and pretend it isn't really there. This leads to a bastardization to work around things. Management doesn't want to admit they've f***ed up in the past. This leads to that ever popular cycle of "we're the new managemnt-let's change everything". Oldmanagement would never admit to fuckups , new management wants to blame old management and pretend that they have some great plan to make things "better". Technical and real world requirements be damned.

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Do you read only every other word or something? The exposure is AT MOST the same. In general it is LOWER. So using multiple DMZs IS worth the effort.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Only if it has enough buzzwords in it. But this is getting off-topic ;)

True. I was ranting a little here.

True as well. But were here to discuss firewall topics, not general security topics. That's what comp.security.misc is for.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

At Most - so then at some point it is the same - so, if at some point it could be the same, then it will be the same (for one reason or another) and that follows what I said.

In general using multiple DMZ installs if a more secure option, but it's not always going to work for a particular communications need - like real-time access from web and lan to a database that is the same database. Every method has holes, even if they are different holes, as part of the process. It's a matter of securing the holes as best as possible.

I'll stick with what I know works and what I've seen stay secure.

Reply to
Leythos

I'll take that for a 'yes'.

*plonk*

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Do you plonk everyone that doesn't see things your way?

I happen to have a point that is different than yours, works for all of our clients, has not been compromised, and is easy to manage at the same time. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean we can't discuss it like men, and I think it's childish of you to plonk anyone.

Reply to
Leythos

Back to some definitions and basics. A LAN can be many things, none of which are accessible by public IP address assignments.

A DMZ is a set of components isolated from the Internet and the backend processors by firewalls on both sides Public -- FW(#1) --- DMZ systems -- FW(#2) --- backend processing(BEP)

Best practices says the corporate LAN should not be accessible from the DMZ or the public Internet.

The WWW.* systems have components in the DMZ which may be compromised from time to time (which is why we need backups, pagers and have jobs). By segmenting the networks and using non-default ports in the backend processing, access from the Public net to the BEP can only be achieved by software in the DMZ properly configured (ie no scripting kiddy is crossing two firewalls which have no natural routes into the BEP). Now you can run a DBMS in the BEP subnet and again, the kiddies can't run injections scripts and smash your data.

Yea, there's much more to configure, and you need to bind the applications externally rather than default address and ports, but it's also safe, secure, and scalable when expansion is needed.

Reply to
Jeff B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.