Anti-spyware at the Gateway

They are, in fact, blocked. If one gets through, it would be through an event such as getting noticed and categorized one way and changing content afterwards. But as soon as you tried more than a few of "so many sites" and got repeated blocks in that very special category, your machine would be on watch from other means, and would subsequently be caught doing such activities.

Why not? Perhaps you should examine Websense. There is indeed such a thing. Your saying it doesn't exist, doesn't make that so.

One might argue that you are trying to solve a technical problem with social means. :-)

Anyway, you assume that this Websense is being used in a vacuum with your arguments. It is a useful technical part of an overall program. The fact that it really does what it is supposed to, which seems to amaze/elude/surprise you, makes it worth the very large sum of money that it commands.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.
Loading thread data ...

Ridiculous. How should one update this category system if it should ever work seemlessly?

I doubt that, because it's very easy to even set up new sites again and again.

Because, how do you want to decide, what's harmless, what you don't know. Again, this results in a complete whitelist schema, and this means losing connection to the open network again.

I don't say, that Websense does not exists. Of course it exists. And of course it has the same problems like everything like that has, because those problems are by concept.

Don't think so. The problem, that you're not trusting in your own staff definitely is a social problem.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Yes. And how do you detect? Of course, problem solving by social means is a good idea for solving social problems. This is what I'm saying here all the time.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

You know, I'm going to stop responding to you, because all your posts are "that's nonsense, that won't work, that's impossible, that's rediculous".

And yet I have seen such things working, at many places, even while you claim it is not possible.

You continue to operate in your world, I'll continue to operate in mine.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Not easily. But you can. They each have some sort of behavior that is not like their neighbors on the network. You simply have to notice it. Noticing things that are outside of the normal is a start, when you turn your full attention to it, you will figure it out.

If you are logging all traffic in and out of your pipe, it does indeed produce log entries. These can be examined and the behavior can be discovered. (the policies I was referring to above were the written policies, not electronic ones)

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

So you trust your users not to do anything wrong/bad either by accident or on purpose? Where do you work I'd like to send in my resume as your position will be opening up in the future.

Reply to
Jason

Not easily == with exponential effort, so actually not at all

Simple DNS queries? Uploading unsuspiciously looking JPEG images?

Good tunneling cannot be differed from normal behaviour.

Wonderful. :-)

It cannot.

Fine. So what? Doesn't help with any technically imposed limits.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Russ,

are we talking about security here? There is no way to secure that people can only see such websites you think they would be OK without having a complete whitelist. Is this so hard to understand?

Of course, you can categorize. And you can filter by category. But this categorization then is done with heuristics and not with algorithms, do you agree?

And heuristics differ from algorithms, that their result _is_ _not_ _securely_ what you wanted, right?

formatting link
So this may help to enforce a security policy. But it may not implement secure web access in the meaning, that no user can use other websites than the allowed ones.

The reason why I'm arguing here, and why I'm arguing heavy-handed is, that so many providers of such filtering systems are lying to their customers, who are believing that such filtering will solve this problem. In reality, it will not, and most of those customers are fooled.

I don't think, that you're trying such things, of course. So please accept my apology, if I was too rough for your feelings.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

In a way: yes. In another way: no.

Thanks, I'm waiting for it. ;-) I'm working here:

formatting link
and here:

formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

For this problem is equivalent to the halting problem, you cannot in every case. There is no algorithm which can.

Of course, you can detect it if you're lucky. And it will help very much, if the person, who is implementing the tunneling, is dumb.

If the tunneling is done in a clever way, it will be very hard up to impossible to detect. Of course, this depends on how much data usually is transmitted regulary, and how much information is to be transmitted hidden.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I cannot see an algorithm wich can solve this problem. As a matter of fact, I think I can show that this problem is equivalent to the halting problem. It's just the same problem as detecting arbitrary encoding.

Because there is no such algorithm, I cannot agree that it has exponential effort or O(e^n).

It can by everybody who knows the encoding. It cannot in general by anybody who doesn't know the encoding.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Chi square analysis allows signal composition with any precision, so depending on how accurate your model is, you can detect any embedding.

However, such a model usually can't exist.

What about encryption?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I doubt that. Combine an arbitrary encoding with an OTP, and you have nothing.

Yes.

As encryption + key is encoding, this is true for encryption as well.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Ok, well you can tell the fellows we've caught doing this so far, that they weren't caught.

Are there others doing it? Perhaps. Will they get away with it forever? Don't count on it.

Just because *you* can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Encrypted data streams don't look like unencrypted data streams, and so can be detected.

When encrypted streams are allowed only to whitelist hosts, and you don't whitelist proxies, they become obvious.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Wrong. About every JPEG content body or any other well compressed data are indistinguishable from pseudorandom data, so are encrypted data.

Would you allow access to ?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Somebody. wrote: [Web filtering]

And it's unusable then, because Web changes every second.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

In general, this is wrong. You're forgetting that there is steganography.

No.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Simple things, that are trivial to detect, are easily detected. Wow, what a realization.

Anyway, you'll waste your CPU cycles on searching for trickier methods.

I do count on it, I would actually bet.

Just because *you* claim to do it, doesn't mean it can be done even though it provably can't be done.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

It is possible to catch dumb people. You cannot be secure to catch everybody. Usually, only dumb people are catched, or such people, who did not labour.

Yes.

Perhaps.

And "perhaps" exactly is the opposite of "securely", isn't it?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.