Latency and broadcast problems on ethernet lan

Ok, this may be a bit difficult to explain, 'specially with the lack of details (and knowledge) I have so please bear with me...... :-}

I have a small network consisting of ~50 machines split over five rooms and connected using combinations of unmanaged (Netgear) switches and hubs, ethernet and fibre. For simplicity, I'll call the rooms A,B,C,D & E.

In room A there is an application that when running, periodically broadcasts 5s updates to the rest of the network. This is not particularly bandwidth intensive (maybe 100kb at peak) and simple network monitoring using netassyst shows little utilisation etc.

Without this application running, I get good ping times (

Reply to
Baldesan
Loading thread data ...

Could it be duplex mismatch on the link to that machine? (or maybe a different link) It would then miss collisions and need to wait for something to time out?

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

I can't see much trouble with the broadcast. But acknowledgements or retransmits could cause enormous grief when switches get hammered.

Similar to what Glen mentioned, does your network have any potentially miswired cables? Field crimps (split pairs) generate more errors under load.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.