Does anybody have 10base5, 1base5, starlan1, or 10broad36 still running?

Same here. Thanks for all the bits.

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps worried about copyright infringement?

A wonderful read! Thanks for posting it.

Imagine -- random network addresses. Finally a good use for those 128 bit IPv6 addresses. 64 bits route, 64 bits rand. I doubt it will happen given governmental influence.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Could be worse. At least when the latch busted it didn't destroy the connector.

Reply to
J. Clarke

(snip)

People I used to know, for transceivers where the cable came out parallel to the coax would put a wire tie around both cables. I usually didn't because I would want to change them too often, and it was too much work to get the ties on and off.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

[snip]

But when you do run into a problem, it can be a bear to troubleshoot. This happened back in 1990 or so when (Centris, was that the name of Apple boxes???) boxes had issues with duplicate addresses. The only way to fix it was to zap the p-ram. that was a pain in the ass.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Arrrhhhhh. Yes, the slide locks. Good concept, terrible execution. Loose AUI connectors were my #1 cause of network failures. The xceiver cables were so stiff and heavy they just pulled the connectors right out of the slide lock. At the trunk cable end, you could solve the problem by lashing the xceiver cable to the trunk cable with 2 or 3 nylon wire ties, but at the desktop end it was a disaster.

Back in those days, my .signature was "the connector is the network", a parody on Sun's "the network is the computer".

Reply to
Roy Smith

(snip)

In some cases where connecting plenum rated cable onto computers I would use a short (very short) ribbon cable with appropriate connectors. Yes, the impedance is wrong, but if it is short enough it works, and takes the strain off the connector. Especially with desktop computers it was hard to find enough room for the cable to bend.

I did once try a longer ribbon cable along with a long 78 ohm cable, and that one did fail. It has to be pretty short.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Hello from the Eighth Doctor Glen? Still have those things? Yes I would! Please contact me off of this NG to discuss the methods for shipping. Plus anything you can dispose of that's network related. And you might remember me from other groups from my style of posting.

Reply to
The Eighth Doctor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.