VLAN1 for Management Question

I am configuring a Cisco 2950 switch to have 5 vlans. Each of these will have a few hosts on it. They do not communicate outside their VLANs i.e., to hosts on the other VLANS.

I want to have VLAN1 configured with and IP address and put it on the company network so I can manage it. I put an IP address on VLAN1 then I added an ip default-gateway, which gets configured on the switch. Now the plan is to connect the switch to the company network via one of the ports in VLAN1 to be able to mange it on any subnet in the company, hence the ip default-gateway.

I wanted to check to see if this is correct. One thing gave me pause: if I connect two laptops that has IP addresses that are on the same subnet as VLAN1 to two of the ports in one of the VLANs other than VLAN1, the ports goes down. What causes this? I thought that the VLANs other than VLAN1, which has an IP address, did not care about what IP address attached hosts have.

Thanks

Reply to
tman
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.