Question regarding Cisco switch architecture

Hi

I have a query regarding the position of various Cisco switches in relation to the network architecture.

Let's say, for simplicity's sake, that we are using 3 levels; Core, Distribution and Access.

An Access Level switch would be connected directly to the users' workstations and would be something along the lines of a 2950?

A Distribution Level switch would facilitate VLAN's, interVLAN routing, access-lists and so on, and would be something along the lines of a

3550?

A Core Level switch would just switch between the Distribution level switches?

So in a network environment, you would have a router connected to a core switch, which would be connected to various distribution level switches, which in turn would be connected to the access level switches?

Am I correct?

A second question I have is that I've picked up a cheap 5002 Cat switch. It has a Supervisor engine in Slot 1 and a 10baseT switching module in Slot2. Can I change this to make the switch ports Fast Ethernet?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com skrev:

The Access level does not have to be switches, it can be routers and the Core layer should probably be routers, but it all depends on the network in question. And a single device in your network can actually be at several or even all layers.

The three layered model is more directed at which functions should be implemented at each level than what type of equipment it is.

The core layer should not implement features that may degrade performance. This includes packet inspection/manipulation. Although some hardware can do this at wire speed.

The distribution layer is where the Access layers and Core layer meets. This is normally where one would put access-lists to prevent access or QoS classification.

The access layer is where the end user connects into the network. This is normally a switched enviroment. This is also where port level security is implementer.

No, normally I would say that the distribution level and core level consist of routers or layer 3 switches. But as stated above the type of device or even number of devices may differ.

There are 5000 line cards that provide 100tx ports but they are end of sale. You can probably get them from other sources though.

-SAto

Reply to
SAto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.