Proxy service for Anonymous web use?

Can you recommend a proxy service that allows one to browse with Netscape or IE without ones IP address being distributed? I am running my PC through a Linksys router (BEFSX41) and cable modem .

I have experimented with a trial version of Proxyway (proxyway.com) but each time I run a "privacy test", it returns the ISP cable modem assigned IP address which clearly identifies my node and location.

Prefer something with a trial period so I can validate it is indeed allowing anonymous operation when browsing.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Jrtwine
Loading thread data ...

In article , Jrtwine wrote: :Can you recommend a proxy service that allows one to browse with :Netscape or IE without ones IP address being distributed?

Such a thing cannot exist. One's IP address *must* be 'distributed' at least as far as the proxy service.

One then must ask how much one trusts the proxy service operators. If the answer is "Like with any other vendor, I trust that when I pay money for the service that the service will be provided", then unfortunately your trust may be misplaced. It is known that some of the proxy operators are run -directly- by some of the intelligence agencies; known that others are various degrees of clandestine remove from intelligence agencies; and it is strongly suspected that some of the others are run by criminal organizations.

By no means am I saying that *all* proxy services are frauds, but you must be very careful -- and you wouldn't necessarily know.

A couple of other notes:

- Use of anonymous proxy services from corporate hosts is often a violation of the corporate IT regulations;

- You appear to be somewhere in the USA: I suggest you think about the dynamics of anonymous proxy services, intelligence agencies, and The Patriot Act.

I am not well versed in available proxy services, but I would suggest to you that you would find more detailed answers in one of the privacy newsgroups such as alt.privacy or comp.privacy

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Try tor

formatting link
along with privoxy, I worked quite well when I messed around with it before.

Reply to
BNAZ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.