Printer Duplex settings

I was just wondering what the ports on a cisco switch be set to for printers. I do see alot of collissions on the cisco switch ports. most of them are auto but connected as 10mb /half. How would i stop the collissions from happening. Would setting the port explictly to 10/half or 10/full fix this?

thanks

Reply to
ZooOYork
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :I was just wondering what the ports on a cisco switch be set to for :printers. I do see alot of collissions on the cisco switch ports. :most of them are auto

auto is fine for most printers

:but connected as 10mb /half. How would i stop the :collissions from happening. Would setting the port explictly to 10/half :or 10/full fix this?

For most printers, the only way to prevent collisions is to get a newer printer. Ah, I lie: there is another option, which is to disconnect the network cable and use serial or parallel or USB interfaces instead.

Many printers only support 10/half (or sometimes 100/half) so for those printers, nothing you could do on the switch end could prevent half duplex. And if you have half duplex and both ends want to communicate at the same time (e.g., the printer wants to acknowledge receipt of a data packet) then you WILL have collisions.

Collisions are NORMAL in half duplex communications. Unless your

-rate- of collisions is more than 75%, you shouldn't even be thinking about the matter. Even at "100% collisions" there is not a particulary meaningful slowdown in throughput rate. [Measurable, yes, but if you didn't think to check before buying the printer whether it ran at 100/full or faster, then chances are that the minutae of printer network throughput are not something you should worry about.]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Walter said: .. lots snipped ... "Collisions are NORMAL in half duplex communications." ... lots more snipped ...

Couldn't have put it better myself:) (USB:))))

If you search comp.dcom.lans.ethernet for [collisions Seifert] you may manage to locate some relevant material

e.g.

formatting link
"I really regret calling the arbitration events "collisions" in the original specification. If we had called them "arbitration cycles" or "reschedule indicators" or even "flabberdabbers" these arguments would have been over years ago. On the other hand, it would have killed the world market for

yellow LEDs!"

Mr Seifert was a (the?) major contributor to the original IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) standard and is the author of a fine book on Ethernet Switching.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.