PIX xlate Timeout or Logging?

I'm trying to track down some inside nodes that are running file sharing software. I'm currently getting a bunch of attempts to connect to an IP at port 700, when I do the show xlate global and find out who on the inside it is, the IP address it gave is a very unlikely candidate.

I have my xlate timeout set to an hour to keep the pool of IPs at a good level.

Is there a way to log which outside IPs are used for the Inside IPs so I can look back and see who was using what IP and when??

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend
Loading thread data ...

In article , Scott Townsend wrote: ;Is there a way to log which outside IPs are used for the Inside IPs so I can ;look back and see who was using what IP and when??

The theoretical answer is to put your log level up to 6 and look at the "Built ... translation" messages such as %PIX-6-305011 .

The practical answer is to put your log level up to 6 and look at the "Built .. connection" messages such as %PIX-6-302013 . The connection messages are more detailed and less ambiguous than the translation messages.

On the other hand, the translation messages are all you have to go on if anything other than TCP or UDP is going on -- you don't get connection messages for icmp or GRE or whatever. If you want to see those other protocols, you can add the 'log' keyword to the end of the ACL entry that permits them. To avoid getting flooded with those messages, I suggest that in cases where you would normally permit 'ip', that you explicitly permit 'tcp' and 'udp' without the 'log' keyword [and use the PIX-6-302013 messages for those], then use the 'log' keyword on a following permit 'ip' entry.

Another trick: if you don't want to log all of the level 6 stuff, then you can use the 'logging message' command with a message number in order to modify the level it is generated at. For example, you could

logging message 302013 level 4

and then you'd only have to send up to level 4 to your syslog in order to receive those particular messages. This technique is useful if there are just a small number of level 6 events you are interested in.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hmmm... I was trying to do that, but I think I have the wrong page to look up the log number on. I was looking at:

formatting link
It has different numbers for the creation and teardown message IDs.

I'll start with your number and see what I can come up with..

Thanks!

Scott > ;Is there a way to log which outside IPs are used for the Inside IPs so I > can

Reply to
Scott Townsend

In article , Scott Townsend wrote: :Hmmm... I was trying to do that, but I think I have the wrong page to look :up the log number on. I was looking at: :

formatting link
When you post with a question, I usually assume you are using PIX 6.3, or maybe 6.2, unless you specifically indicate otherwise.

5.3 is old enough that I no longer think of anyone running it unless they say so explicitly (or mention a PIX model that doesn't run PIX 6.)
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.