PIX Syslog format

Hi,

In its logs, the Cisco PIX sometimes replaces the IP address of the source/destination by the name of the object matching that IP defined in its configuration . This can be quite annoying. Is there a way to force the PIX to display IP addresses and not PIX objects name in its logs?

Thanks

Reply to
choowie
Loading thread data ...

no names

Reply to
Chris

Yes: it does that on reject messages, but not on build messages and not on teardown messages.

Not in PIX 6.x, no way except not to use names at all.

You might want to consider replacing your named hosts with object-groups of the same name that contain just that host IP, and then referencing the object-group in your configuration. If you did that, the configuration would still carry the name documentation in some form, but the log messages would contain only IPs.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ouch. That's what I feared. I got around 80 PIX to go :-( Thanks.

-- Choowie

Reply to
choowie

I suggest post-processing the log files. It is fairly easy to do a search-and-replace; it could even be dependant upon which PIX was reporting, if need be.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

How about PIX 7.x ?

Reply to
choowie

Sorry, I have not had an opportunity to work with PIX 7.x.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.