PIX - restrict services

Okay, so I got DNS working.

New problem: I can't log on to my domain controller from Outside. What's the deal? Netbios is broken, literally, behind a NAT?

Reply to
Sarastra Maya
Loading thread data ...

Domain controller issue solved; missed some ports.

New problem: Exchange server cannot be located from Outside. What else is there to troubleshoot?

Reply to
Sarastra Maya

Hi Sarastra Maya,

I am sorry but I do not how Windows network and Exchange server works. There must be some ports need to be opened for Exchange server. You should consult the documents provided by Microsoft. You can also sniffer the packets on the PIX, by using "capture" (see

formatting link
simply add a "deny ip any any" at the end of an ACL and try to login to the Exchange server from your Windows client to see what violation log says. I guess you need to permit SMTP and/or POP3.

Sarastra Maya wrote:

Reply to
CCIE #15766

Thanks, CCIE #15766!

I believe the netbios issue and exchange server issue are relative to each other; how messy windows handles name resolve through domain controller\\\\.. But at any rate, for this instance I can get around the issue without over troubleshooting it.

capture: That's a great troubleshooting feature, btw. I never would have thought of that.

CCIE #15766 wrote:

formatting link
or simply add a "deny ip any any" at the end of an ACL and try to login

Reply to
Sarastra Maya

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.