PIX 501 Retro Flashback Issues!

My PIX 501 is set to factory default settings in a simple network consisting of 1 laptop connected to the ethernet port via straight cable, but it will not assign a dynampic IP to the laptop. sh int shows that "Line protocol is down" on the inside ethernet (ethernet1). I have followed every configuration guide on the net and gotten nowhere. Everything else seems to work fine except internal DHCP.

Somebody help! Before my client punches me in the face because their archaic hardware is difficult to troubleshoot!

Thanks!

-X

Reply to
xylazine
Loading thread data ...

Not good. The PIX 501 considers the four-port switch to be always up -- as far as it is concerned, it is talking to the switch, not to any port on the switch.

One thing to cross-check: does it show "Hardware is i82559 ethernet" or does it show a name beginning with "3c" ? As far as I know that model should never have a 3c series, but if it -did- have a 3com card then the line protocol would alway show down.

The switch usage changed starting with PIX 6.2, but dhcpd wasn't supported until PIX 6.3 so I deduce you aren't running PIX 6.1.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

My hardware is indeed listed as i82559 and my sh ver claims to be 6.3, which is leading me to begin to conclude that this is a hardware issue. The lights on the front of the device are lit correctly and attempting to switch cabling and client machines have met with the same results.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
xylazine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.