order of the actions taken by a router.

Hi all,

I would like to know the order of the actions (matching of the ACLs, NAT (static/dynamic), routing of the packets) taken by a router.

I'd like to know if having both a static source inside translation from 1.1.1.1 (outside) to 2.2.2.2 (inside) and at the same time the loopback interface 1.1.1.1 is the NAT action made instead of forwarding the packets (having 1.1.1.1 as dest IP) to the interface 1.1.1.1

This way, the rules (ACLs or policy maps or whatever else) specified in the loopback interface will never be applied because the interface will never see that traffic.

Am I correct?

TIA

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

It I understand you right, you are talking about outside to inside transaltion in your question. If so, the translation happens before the route lookup and so you are right that the packets will not be routed to the loopback interface,

There is a good explanation of the NAT order of operation for both the inside-to-outside and the outisde-to-inside cases at

formatting link
Cisco da Gama
formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.