need two firewalls?

Can someone straighten me out on where I'm going wrong. I'm starting to think I can do this with one firewall instead of two, or at least w/ a cisco, because I had the cheaper kind before this. Then I was using the

2nd firewall as more of a router.

I have two networks, 192.168.5.0 and a 192.168.6.0. I've been trying to put 192.168.5.0 on the inside of one firewall and 192.168.6.0 on the inside of the other firewall. Then I would put the second firewall behind the first. The only reason I tried to do this was because I don't have enough ports on a single firewall. But now I'm starting to wonder since I bought a simple switch. I also thought I couldn't do this because there was only two interfaces on the pix 501 and I thought it was normal to put a network on each interface. I use one (like the

192.168.5.0) as a dmz.

So, can I put my two networks on a single pix? If so, any pointers on how?

I also couldn't seem to get my inbound connections like ssh working because I have a problem w/ the outside interface line in the 'down' mode which I believe means it's not getting an ip from the 501 before it. And I get strange results, it's like they switch interface ip's from the ones I assign. But if I can use one firewall, that would really simplify things.

Reply to
Ender
Loading thread data ...

configure vlans on the inside interface and trunk it to an internal switch.

Reply to
James

In article , James top-posted (manually fixed)

You can't do that on a PIX 501. The PIX 506/506E is the minimum you need for VLAN support.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.