How do we bind our IP to a godaddy domain?

I sorta regret that I bought my domain from godaddy.com. I used to use dnsexit. Dnsexit has a client IP updater that updates our IP at regular intervals. That is very helpful, especially for people who do not have static IP.

But, godaddy does not seem to have such a client IP updater, and on their website, they don't talk about how we can update our IP.

It seems to me all they are talking about is domain forwarding, but that's not what I want.

Any one knows how to bind our IP to a domain name from godday.com?

Thanks.

Reply to
gnewsgroup
Loading thread data ...

Looks like this is not among their services. What they seem to do is provide dns service and site hosting.

But, I want to host on my own computer. Too bad, I have signed up for

2 years with godaddy.com. I do not care about the money, but my domain name.
Reply to
gnewsgroup

Why not use a client like no-ip.com has, and point godaddy at your no- ip.com domain which will in turn forward you as necessary. Or keep using your dnsexit if you still have the service? As for godaddy exactly, I'm not sure they offer this. Judging from this post a few months ago on a different site, you are probably SOL without a bandaid solution such as above. Of course if you can't point at anything other than a real IP, that may hose you as well. Ditch godaddy or buy one of their hosting solutions I'm afraid if that is indeed the case. Sorry!

P.S - I also searched their site and didn't find anything about what you are looking for.

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Hey, thanks. Now I use dyndns.org's free service and have a client IP updater for that. But the problem is, it does not look professional to be forwarded from mydomain.dyndns.org to my professional domain from godaddy.

Reply to
gnewsgroup

Godaddy won't let you cancel even if you agree to pay them for the 2 year contract?

Reply to
Barry Margolin

What I was suggesting, is going into Godaddy's domain forwarding and forward your proper domain to your dyndns hostname, which then has a client, and will always point to the right IP. While I agree that this is a band-aid solution, it should do until your contract expires. I would pursue cancellation and see if you can get any money back, but if not, you may want to do this as an in-between. I just logged in and it appears you can re-point to a hostname and not just an IP address, which should allow this solution to work nicely.

Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks, and I think I did understand your suggestion, but if in *any* case mydomain.dyndns.org is visible to potential users of my website, I cannot take this domain forwarding as a solution.

Either I forward from mydomain.dyndns.org to my godaddy domain or the other way round, there is no way you can hide mydomain.dyndns.org from the end users, right?

Reply to
gnewsgroup

OK, just as I was replying to your post, I received a support response from godaddy.com. They do let us specify the IP address to point to. But it seems that you have to log into your account and do it manually.

I have tried it and it is successful. But this is gonna be a big pain for people like me who do not have a static IP.

Reply to
gnewsgroup

Yes, you can always change it manually, but I agree with your above assessment. Either deal with the re-pointing to dyndns which will have the update client and point to where you need, or get off of godaddy.

Of course your best option may be to call your provider and ask for a static IP. They generally offer these for a small per month fee, well worth fixing this hassle.

Reply to
Trendkill

I looked around at the setting in godaddy, looks like that I can have my godaddy domain aliased (CNAME) to mydomain.dyndns.org. I tried this and so far it's been working fine. I deleted the A Record.

If this works, then I will be fine because I do have a client IP updater for dyndns.org.

Reply to
gnewsgroup

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.