gre tunnel blocks printers

I have created a gre tunnel between two routers on an MPLS network. For some reason I cannot access the Sharp printers that are on the remote end unless I specifically ping them from the remote router, once I do this they are in the ARP table and I can access them across the network. All other devices on the remote end, including HP printers, don't have any issues with the tunnel. Has anyone run into this before?

Reply to
jthomson
Loading thread data ...

I have not run into Sharp printers with this problem, but have run into other devices which exhibit similar behavior. Usually caused by one of: 1 - default gateway incorrect on printer 2 - incorrect subnet mask on printer 3 - printer not designed to work through a router (no default GW!!)

Cure is to either correct the printer configuration (if possible) or finagle the router configuration to support the printer's expectations (think Proxy ARP). There are other potential causes and cures, but they are much less common.

Good luck and good hunting!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.