FWSM going EoL ?

Hi guys.

I heard somone tell me that we could expect the FWSM to go EoL soon.. It's been around a few years now and as new products like the ACE show, hardware today can achieve much higher throughput on a single slot then ~5.5Gbps. ACE has hardware capability of 16Gbps per slot with firewall functions supported.

So maybe a new 15Gbps+ version of the FWSM is inbound sometime soon or a new application or has the successor already arrived? Should this be a reason to maybe try using the ACE as main firewall? they support pretty much anything any company uses from their firewall anyhow it seems..

i know of at least one company that has purchased ACE's as firewalls.. any thoughts?

Reply to
Captainahab
Loading thread data ...

ACE doesn't have feature-parity with FWSM and won't have. FWSM is here to stay - look however for ASAs 5580 (already on cisco.com) that do have quite nice performance.

You should discuss this with your account team.

Maybe the functionality that is in the ACEs is enough for them. FWSM offer a lot more.

Reply to
Łukasz Bromir

As far as I can see in cisco.com there is no real benefit in preferring FWSM over a ASA5580-40. The only thing that looks better in FWSM is the number of supported VLANs and maybe faster failover. Having in mind also that VSS doesn't support FWSM, I think that if redundant interface in ASA is compatible with VSS, it would be a nice solution.

I expect that cisco will create a FWSM-E that connects to the switching backplane instead of the 32Gb bus and it will EOL the current FWSM. Till that time, maybe it's wiser to go to ASA

Reply to
John

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.