Frame Relay as NBMA network

Hi,

I'm aware that Frame relay is an NBMA network and it means it cannot broadcast packets.

1. What is the meaning it cannot broadcast packets?
  2. If it cannot broadcast packet, why i could do this sort of ospf configuration

int s0 e f ip ospf net broadcast ip xxxx xxxx

thx .dave

formatting link

Reply to
David Sudjiman
Loading thread data ...

You may not send a single packet and expect it to reach all dframe relay destinations. If you want to "broadcast" you must manually replicate the packets to each destination.

If you choose to do broadcast replication on frame relay, you can emulate a broadcast network (using frame relay MAP and the broadcast keyword.) This is provided you are willing to expend the excess traffic and CPU needed to do so. In that case, you can force OSPF to behave as it it were attached to a broadcasting network. With a small number of frame relay peers, it is probably acceptable but as you add more peers the emulation of broadcast consumes more and more CPU and bandwidth.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Ah, cost is the reason. Thx Phillip.

Reply to
David Sudjiman

Not true.

A MULTIPOINT Frame-Relay network is a NBMA network...

Any frame that has its I/G bit set to 1 will not pass.

Because...

You overrode the no-broadcast policy by making it broadcast.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.