Creating a visual Map of a network?

I am being tasked to map a network. In the past I have used nmap to find the systems on the local LAN and remote LANs (same enterprise).

This time I want to create a visual map of the LAN. With cheops, I reasonably good results but cannot be documented for managers with certainty. What are some good tools now that will create visual maps of the networks?

What is the best way to map a network when ICMP echo has been turned off?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

Reply to
Neil Jones
Loading thread data ...

Visio and CDP. I know Visio used to have a network discovery module, but I don't think its around anymore. To be honest, every time I have used a shortcut app to do this, I still end up re-doing it in Visio to make it adequate for presentation/distribution but also still be very usable. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
Trendkill

I have tried some network visualization tools with some fancy auto detection features and ended up drawing the maps by hand. I have used several tools for this staring from visio and dia, but finally I ended up using Graphviz. Using some simple makefiles I can assemble a customized .dot file from different locations including more or less informations - and it is easy to keep it under CVS, because its only text. And you can add some nodes using vi over a slow connection.

As far as I remember there are some scripts around that generate a .dot file from the nmap output.

Maybe you should give it a try ;-) It may take some time to start up, but it may be worth investigating some effort.

Regards Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Zerwes

You could do worse than look at:

formatting link

Reply to
Al

Al wrote: [...]

I could nearly do nothing worser ;-)

Reply to
klaus zerwes

Every time I troubleshoot, I used to draw a Visio map. it had L3/L2 info, port errors, CEF Exact path etc. Finally, I got sick of doing this and asked one of my guys (who used to be programmer) and asked him to watch what I did. Then I asked him if he could programatically do this. He wrote a Visio (VB) script that did it! It only does source to destination (not the whole site), but we -only half - jokingly call it "The Tool" As in "it's The Tool you need to troubleshoot"

Email me if anyone is interested. It's fairly easy to find my address (with my name) via google. My older posts even had ROT13 addresses in them. :)

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Have a look at Solarwinds....they have some nice tools....

formatting link

Hope it helps....

Regards,

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.