Compatibility questions

Hi friends,

I am just looking for a migration path for Cisco 3640 and Cisco Catalyst 4006 switch. I came to know that a good migration path is :

Cisco 3640 ---> Cisco 3745 Cisco Catalyst 4006 ---> Catalyst 4510R

Just two doubts on the migration path:

1. Does Cisco 3745 support NM-4E network module ? If no, is there any alternative?

1. Does Catalyst 4510R with Supervisor engine V (WS-X4516) support the routing module WS-X4232-L3?

Thanks and Regards Gautam

Reply to
gautamzone
Loading thread data ...

if you are buying new, probably better choice is the 3845 or 3825 - more I/O options and more powerful.

either one is much higher throughput than a 3640 - 3745 is around 5 times faster, 3845 10 times.

or if you want a cheaper unit, then one of the 28xxs.

is doesnt according to the hardware config tool - it might be that NM-4E is obsolete.

there are some 16 port switch modules which can use VLANs to split out ports, or youcould use a 100 Mbps port into a separate switch - there are 2 built in 10/100s, and you can get a NM with 2 more.

similar issues for 3845

if you do need to route between lots of ethernet ports, you may find it more cost effective to route on a layer 3 switch such as a Cat 3560.

no - but the Sup V is a better router anyway, and not limited to the per slot bandwidth, as long as you dont need non IP protocols. you need an enhanced routing licence for OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and some multicast stuff.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.