cisco gatekeeper question

A gatekeeper is all I need to make H.323 calls right? In other words, if two people want to call each other and do video conference, they will both need access to H.323 gatekeeper and then both will login with a username/password and as long as the GK supports the video codecs that are being used on endpoints, it will all work.

The 3512MCU is overpriced ($36K come on now..) and all I am looking for is something that H.323 endpoints can connect and do a vid. conf.

I am thinking I will compile openH323 and opengatekeeper and hope it will all work, has anyone used these things before, care to share good/ bad exp?

Thanks

Reply to
news8080
Loading thread data ...

Am 01.11.2007 17:05 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Gatekeeper != MCU.

The gatekeeper will just help the two endpoints find each other. The actual video connection will not pass through the gatekeeper. In the case of a point-to-point call, the two participants will then connect directly. For more than two participants you need an MCU as the central point they all connect to, and which combines the camera pictures from all participants and redistributes the result to all participants' screens.

HTH T.

Reply to
Tilman Schmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.