cisco 878 router and DSL

I noticed the Cisco 878 router supported the following protocols: ITU G.991.2 (G.shdsl), ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT), ITU G.992.3 (G.DMT.bis) whilst the 877 supported: ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT), ITU G.992.3 (G.DMT.bis)

Can the 878 be made to work with a none SHDSL line? If yes then how?

From a newbie perspective I would have assumed yes considering it

supports the same protocols as the 877.

The reason I ask is that although we currently have standard DSL, if our business continues to grow we may upgrade to SHDSL next year and I was hoping the 878 would work now on DSL and later when we upgraded.

Thanks

-ab

Reply to
axle.bolt
Loading thread data ...

newbie perspective I would have assumed yes considering it

No.

Reply to
Bod43

Look for DSL service where the carrier provides a DSL modem as part of the service - modem will/should have an Ethernet interface

Then you can use a Cisco 851 which has a FastEthernet WAN interface and if you cand DSL providers you should not have to change your router

Reply to
Merv

OK. Make that maybe.

As Merv has suggested maybe you can get a dsl modem.

If your 878 has the advanced IP services feature set then in theory you could configure 2 vlans and use one of the ethernets for the outside.

I say in theory since I haven't done it but I beleive that it should work. You may though be heading into bleeding edge buggy territory - or maybe not.

C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9 is what you need.

Got pppoe (over ethernet - seems obvious but it's not) working the other day so maybe I could do a config?

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.