Bring Vlan up without host

I have Vlan 10 coming over a trunk from a provider for a point-to-point circuit and I have configured Vlan 10 on my 3560 switch. I put an ip address on this Vlan but the Vlan line protocol won't come up until a host in plugged into another port assigned to Vlan 10.

Is there a way to configure a virtual interface in the switch that will bring the Vlan protocol online?

My other idea was to make a loop cable and plug it into an interface assigned to Vlan 10 just to bring the Vlan online.

Ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Sonney
Loading thread data ...

AFAIK this is the way autostate works on vlan interfaces

se

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

I tested out making another port on the 3560 a L3 port and plugged that port into the L2 vlan switchport and the Vlan came up. Not really sure if this is a good idea though.

3560 Port 14 L3 3560 Port 15 L2 associated with Vlan 10

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Sonney

Assuming you have no IP address configured on L3 port ...

Disable CDP on L3 port if enabled.

Check that no packet are being sent on the L3 port

Reply to
Merv

What happens if you do no keepalive on the L2 interface and dissable STP on the VLAN?

You could consider adding the VLAN to a trunk that did not go anywhere.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using two ports and connecting them with a crossover or a loopback connector. Either will do no harm to the network.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.