advice on OSPF design.

Hello all,

I have to design a network with 15 branches, and two main sites. All branches are connected to both main branches using 2M links for redundency/fail-over. Both main offices connected using Two 2M links. We are willing to use OSPF. Now the problem is, how to define area 0? Can any one please advice me?

Thanks in advance.

Jimi snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
jimikid2002
Loading thread data ...

Define main sites to be area 0.

15 branches to be stub areas.

Reply to
Cen

or make it all backbone - 16 or 17 routers is well within OSPF single area size limits.

this assumes that OSPF doesnt need to support lots of other routing - e.g. within some sites, or over another WAN.

the rule of thumb is that if part of your network has "different" characteristics then where those bits meet is a good place to put an area border - e.g. part of he network is fully resilient, one bit has relatively unstable links etc.

You could do worse than read the OSPF RFC - the intro bit goes on about what OSPF can do and sensible structure, although it isnt paranoid enough for me.

Also the SPF calculations dont happen between areas - so if you use 1 stub per branch you arent actually using the whole point of having OSPF....

Reply to
stephen

Very simple answer. create router ospf 1 process on both main routers. put the network of the 2m links that connect the main sites in area 0. Use area 10 for the branches. put the point to point network for the connections to the branch offices in area 10. On the branch routers create router ospf 1. put the the point to point network for the connections to the main offices in area 10. put the network of the LAN in area 10, under ospf 1. show ip ospf nei, sh ip route, ping to test.

Reply to
datakazam

Thanks Guys, Specially datakazem, Same design was in my mind (with

20-30% confidence). Your advice boosts by confidence to 100%.
Reply to
Jimi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.