VLANS

I have the following scheme, tested od Bison Routersim:

router 192.168.1.1 | f0/0 | | host 192.168.1.10---f0/5-switch0 | host 192.168.1.20---f0/5-switch1

in switch0: int f0/5, switchport mode trunk, switchport access vlan2

in switch1: int f0/5, switchport mode trunk, switchport access vlan1

When I send "ping 192.168.1.10" from host 192.168.1.20 then ping return "request time out" bu when I send "ping 192.168.1.1" then ping return "OK". Is this correct? Maybe switch have dynamic mode to ports not definied? Swich0 is connected with Switch1 in default mode (not trunk or access).

Reply to
vitay
Loading thread data ...

I trust you've got the inter-vlan routing set up in the router.

That being said, I tried to do something similar using Boson 6, and it failed miserably. It worked fine on actual hardware, so there was nothing wrong with what I was doing or how I did it; however, Boson apparently had issues.

-------------------------------------------------+------------------- "One World; One Web; One Program." -- Microsoft | OS/2 Warp | Solid like Linux "Ein Volk; Ein Reich; Ein Führer." -- Hitler | Easy like Windows

-------------------------------------------------+-------------------

Use your bandwidth. If you don't, it'll go stale.

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed... oh, wait. He does.

I Am Not A Number... Um...except for my TCP/IP address.

If you can read this .sig, you're too damn close.

Save a cow. Eat a vegetarian!

Dark Days in Human History: Hiroshima'45 Chernobyl'86 Windows'95

Proud member of the Signature is Longer Than The Post Association

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

Now I have turn on for f0/5: switchport mode access and It also work like before. It isn't any differences.

Reply to
vitay

You need to set switch0 to use VLAN 1

VLAN 1 is the default VLAN, so unless trunking is enabled between the switches they will not know about VLANs that configured on each other.

This brings up another question. Are the switches on the same network? That is do they use the same net mask? If they do then they will need to reside on the same VLAN.

If the switches do not reside on the same network then both the router and switch1 will need to be configured for trunking.

Joel

vitay wrote:

Reply to
Joel

the way I understand things says you need to trunk the link between your two switches, and since you need a layer three device for inter vlan communication you would need to configure isl or dot1q on your router's ethernet interface, of course that would depend on the trunk type set on port where the router connects to yout switch0.

Reply to
Larry Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.