Possible to get CCIE by self study?

I've been an assistant net admin for the last 6 years. I'd like to expand my knowledge, highten my job security and, yes, increase my marketability. The shop that I work in has Cisco products(Catalyst 5509 and a PIX Firewall), but we outsource all of our support. They have no interest in paying for my Cisco training. Is it possible to attain CCIE through self study and practice alone? Has anyone here done that? If so, can you give a poor guy like me some tips? I'd appreciate any info.. Thanks.

-Gerrick

Reply to
GerrickPeters
Loading thread data ...

I've been an assistant net admin for the last 6 years. I'd like to expand my knowledge, highten my job security and, yes, increase my marketability. The shop that I work in has Cisco products(Catalyst 5509 and a PIX Firewall), but we outsource all of our support. They have no interest in paying for my Cisco training. Is it possible to attain CCIE through self study and practice alone? Has anyone here done that? If so, can you give a poor guy like me some tips? I'd appreciate any info.. Thanks.

-Gerrick

Reply to
GerrickPeters

If you have enough money to get hands on the real gear or practice labs sure. There are lots of things in the real world that the CCIE doesnt cover, but if you have some decent experience it should fill in the gaps. Be prepared to give up a year of your life basically. Nights and weekends become lab time, and the month before your labs you may have to take a few days off work to get up to speed. Its that involved. Not impossible but demanding.

GerrickPeters wrote:

Reply to
jw

Thanks for the info.. I understand the need for hands on experience. Like I said, we only have a Cisco switch and a firewall at my shop. How do I go about finding the necessary equipment to work on? I don't have enough money to buy real gear. Where can I find practice labs? Thanks again for the info..

-Gerrick

Reply to
GerrickPeters

Hi Gerrick,

I concur that you can pass without employer support. It will cost you more time and money, but certainly possible.

You need to seek out a few things:

1. Cisco Press books like TCP/IP Routing Volume I, Internet Routing Architectures, Quality of Service, Caslow, etc. (0)
  2. Cisco Universe CD, available online (1. Cisco Press books like TCP/IP Routing Volume I, Internet Routing Architectures, Quality of Service, Caslow, etc. ($300) 2. Cisco Universe CD, available online ($0) 3. A book of lab scenarios ($300). Three popular ones are: NetMasterClass, IP Expert, CC Bootcamp 4. Rack time. $30-$35/session is a fair rate. Make sure they have 3550 Catalysts and 4+ routers. Google: CCIE rack rent For 12 sessions, you're looking at $350.)
  3. A book of lab scenarios (0). Three popular ones are: NetMasterClass, IP Expert, CC Bootcamp
  4. Rack time. -/session is a fair rate. Make sure they have 3550 Catalysts and 4+ routers. Google: CCIE rack rent For 12 sessions, you're looking at 0.

$300 + $300 + $350 = $950; you'll need a little more than that for the actual exams. Used / outdated materials cost less.

The time it requires is largely dependent on your knowledge and experience. If you regularly troubleshoot service provider networks, I would expect much less than a year. If you don't have a CCNP or equivalent knowledge, I would expect much more than a year.

Good luck!

Reply to
hb350001

ccie RS lab exam just need 3550 swithc and 2620 router I think you just need enough time and money,then you will pass the ccie exam You can just do it! my friend even have passed three ccie certification: RS,ISP,Security

Reply to
slo

I've heard just taking the written exams and lab tests could cost up to $20k alone.

Do you have a college degree? I think that would be of much more value.

Reply to
Cisco Kid

Probably not if you buy new... however, ebay is a good source. Just make sure what you're bidding on is what you're looking for.

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

Yeah, I have a BS in MIS and Business. It cost me a little over $40K and 4 years. I paid my loans off in about 5 years after I graduated. I just know of CISCO engineers without any secondary education making about 3 times my salary.

-Gerrick

Reply to
GerrickPeters

Someone steered you wrong:

formatting link
$2,000 : Average amount spent studying $1,550 : Exam cost ----------------------------- $3,550

$ 950 : Minimum / efficient study plan $1,550 : Exam Cost ----------------------------- $2,500

I know at least a dozen CCIEs, and none of them spent over $6,000. I'm sure you could spend more, but most people don't.

Reply to
hb350001

I'm currently enrolled in the Cisco Network Academy for a shop/elective class in high school.

The topic has come up a few times, and it is possible, but rather hard.

The one thing I do want to point out is that your certification expires every three years, if I remember correctly. The CCIE exam is by far the hardest, and you'd be spending most of your time studying for next year.

But yes, with alot of time and effort, I'd say it's possible to do it.

-- Chris

GerrickPeters wrote:

Reply to
Chris Olin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.