PC RAM in a Cisco 25xx router?

Hi all,

Does anyone here know if you can use a standard 72-pin DIMM in Cisco 25xx series routers? FPM? EDO? They both look ALOT alike, but like other PC components looks aren't always everything?

All cisco has it listed as is 16 MB DRAM. (p/n MEM-1X16D)

If so does anyone know if there are other technical specs as to what kind of RAM sticks are in Cisco routers?

Thx, Jay

Reply to
JXM2119
Loading thread data ...

I got a big box of different SIMM chips. ANd I just installed them one-by-one in the 25xx router and sorted by how much memory they add. Some

32Mb and even 64Mb SIMMs add just 2M or 4M. But I have found some 16Mb modules which work in 25xx series routers very well.
Reply to

YES they work but .... they need to have the correct internal organisation First: the cisco ones use 9 bits per byte (known as parity bit for the extra one) Second: the addressing sheme must be the same too (thats why some 64Meg rams appear as only having 1/4 or even less of capacity)

If you want a good recourse, go find memories from old computers that needed DRAM with Parity (compac, intel, ibm ....) A simple way to know if you have the (most likely) correct DRAM is that they do NOT have 8 chips on them, but 9 of the same Go to the local computershop, and ask them if they dont have old DRAMS of such kind Dont tell them you will use them in a cisco router, becouse you will have to pay 10 times more then

Good luck ...

Reply to
polleke

you can get them on ebay for about 10 bucks

Reply to
John Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.