Confused..IOS removed from switch

Hi all, I'm a big nubee, and I was thinking of buying a 5505 switch off ebay (supt 3, couple of 10/100 blades and they seem cheap $$$ ) . I read here that the the ios is not licensed (would the os be removed. disabling the switch?. Am I just throwing money out the window? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Justa_me
Loading thread data ...

I don't know if I would risk that.

-----Original Message----- From: snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org] On Behalf Of Justa_me Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 12:29 PM To: snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org Subject: [Cisco] Confused..IOS removed from switch

Hi all, I'm a big nubee, and I was thinking of buying a 5505 switch off ebay (supt 3, couple of 10/100 blades and they seem cheap $$$ ) . I read here that the the ios is not licensed (would the os be removed. disabling the switch?. Am I just throwing money out the window? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve _______________________________________________ Cisco mailing list snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org

formatting link

Reply to
Patrick Siglin

I don't think I would risk it.

-----Original Message----- From: snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org] On Behalf Of Justa_me Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 12:29 PM To: snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org Subject: [Cisco] Confused..IOS removed from switch

Thanks Steve _______________________________________________ Cisco mailing list snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org

formatting link

Reply to
Patrick Siglin

I doubt that they would be trying to sell the system without IOS on it. What is usually meant by IOS being unlicensed in this context is that Cisco will not support you if you run into any problems with the Cisco gear you bought unless you buy a service contract from them (which will be expensive). If the switches function fine with the IOS on them, this may be a reasonable thing to buy.

Of course, you should check with the seller that the system has no known hardware problems and is actually usable with the software loaded on it to make sure you don't get a lemon. As with buying anything on ebay, the motto is caveat emptor!

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

I guess it is really up to him. I personally would not buy something like this unless they will guarantee that it is in working condition.

On 11 Mar 2006 15:56:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

-- snipped-for-privacy@list.memphistw.org

Reply to
Patrick Siglin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.