Use CMR or CMX rated cat5e cable

My wife runs a small motel and I offered to wire some of her rooms with cat5e.

For the most part, the cabling is interior. There are some runs that will follow some coax that runs inside a closed-in notch recessed under the second floor outside walkway which is against the building.

The cable will be protected from the weather and from light. At most the outside temperature can drop to -10C but even then it is protected from these extremes.

Can I continue to use CMR rated cable or should I use CMX rated cable?

Rob

Reply to
Robert Side
Loading thread data ...

CMX is actually a lesser grade cable than CMR. CM means "Communications Multipurpose) and the X signifies "residential" as the targeted market. CMR (Riser) needs to pass more stringent fire test. And that's just about all it means in your case as none of this classifications signify any particular resistance to the elements. -10C can be pretty tough on plastics of the cable's insulation and it is outside the guaranteed temperature range. My guess would be that without physical disturbance during the extreme cold (as in wind swinging the bundle) the cable is going to be fine for a few years

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Robert Side wrote in part:

In addition to Dmitri's excellent reply, I agree that temperature is your biggest worry. I'd install the cable with about double the clips (say every 3 feet) and a little more slack to allow for cable [plastic] contraction. Double clip all corners.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.