testing OSP copper cable

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm installing some copper (25 and

100 pair) for a client who wants the following tests done on the cable:

? Insulation resistance ? Shorts/crosses ? Grounds ? Opens ? Reversals ? Splits ? Transpositions ? Shield continuity ? Loop resistance ? Insertion loss (optional) ? Capacitance

and they want a printed report at the end of it all. I've done some research but have not found anything conclusive as to is there one tester out there that can do all of this?

thanks for any help!

Reply to
jonb42
Loading thread data ...

jonb42 wrote in part:

Sure. A standard DVOM plus capacitance meter and correct loopback plugs (how is this cable to be terminated? 66/110?) will do all of these tests. The tester will have to write the results in, and someone will have to trust it is not being "penciled".

This looks like a very old laundry list. Shield continuity? What is this cable? Personally, I'd probably ask for Cat3 certification tests. Far more comprehensive.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

..Yes, I suppose we could do it this way. I have a capacitance meter and also a DVOM. What I am hoping for though is a package designed to do this and save the results internally > print it out. I suppose I can write it up properly / make it look professional on a computer anyway - but it will be missing what kind of test equipment was used...

In the building all terminations are on 66 blocks.

Things I've looked at:

formatting link
- this does not appear to store results internally though.
formatting link
- there is no clear list of what this tests for online, and the co. hasn't responded yet.

Yes I think the required test list is old - military. But its what they want.. Cat3 would not include everything on this list though as far as I know, however much of a better standard it may be. I think what I am running into is that equipment nowadays just isn't designed to do that list - instead the various forms of DSL, the CAT standards etc - but so far nothing that I have found that includes this list under its umbrella.

I was pointed in the direction of a micro computer systems model 77 (

formatting link
is the only thing I could find on the net - no bids and the co. has scrapped it deeming it worthless!) which in itself tells you the same story.

Any more ideas? Any modern testers that cover the same ground? The list does begin with the clause "but not limited to..."!

thanks J>jonb42 wrote in part:

Reply to
jonb42 via HWKB.com

This is a very old list that does them no good today. insulation testing was done with a megger. shorts and such where done with a ohm meter. shield was messured from a pair to the shield with it shorted on one end so it read a loop. Resommend a test with a fluke network tester and a ohm to insulation , should be open . show them how much more info that will get with the fluke, network test, which they can use.it will wiremap and everything for them. up to about 2500 feet.

Reply to
sparky

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.