Affixing Fiber Cable to a Support

What's the best technique to affix 6-strand indoor/outdoor fiber cable to a 1" mostly horizontal metal pipe?

Is a simple loop with a tie wrap just fine? Are two loops (like a figure 8) overkill?

How long of a span between supports is typically done?

Is it likely or unlikely that the glass fiber inside the jacket would be damaged by pulling the tie wrap tightly by hand (without using any tools)?

What is the typical minimum bend radius for indoor/outdoor fiber cable?

Reply to
Bob Simon
Loading thread data ...

Bob Simon wrote in part:

It depends on how the pipe/conduit is supported. If it is freestanding, unencumbered and unlikely to need maintenance, then you can wrap the fiber around it with occasional ties. This is probably the best support, but may increase exposure to sun and crushing. You can also snake the cable along the top of the pipe and tie it there. I don't like clothes line.

Single tie is fine unless it must be cinched tight like a vertical run. Fiber at the joint and can be cushioned by a small piece of foam. Put in two at right angles to convert them into two 45s.

6 foot usually. Tighter in any area subject to traffic (snagging).

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

The fiber will be tied to the canopy support structure of a waterproof awning that runs between two buildings. It would be nice if I could hide the fiber by affixing it to the top of whatever support member I use but since gravity and weather will likely cause it to drop to the bottom of the pipe, I question whether it's worth the extra effort.

Reply to
Bob Simon

Bob Simon wrote in part:

Then don't. Draping usually works, but might not if there's going to be wind-induced vibration. For a short run, just use lots of ties. Then you can make them looser. Every foot wouldn't be out of the question. Cut the tie-tails but watch out for the sharp ends.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

######

Indeed watch out for those cable tie ends they can be very sharp if you don't cut them right. Don't bend the cable to much and make sure the ties are not to tight, I always say if its bending the outside casing then the tie is too tight, otherwise you should be good to go!

Reply to
NMNetworkServices

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.