Adelphia's spam filter

I subscribe to an innocuous quotations listserv, getting one email per day. The email messages have a brief text advertisement at the bottom, but it's only a small part of the message. My listserv messages stopped a couple of weeks ago, and when I ascertained that the list was still functioning, I looked for every way I could think of to get into the spam settings to whitelist it. Not finding any way to do so, I asked Adelphia tech support for help and was told that there was no way to approve any particular sender--that if Adelphia decided it was spam I couldn't change that. I asked them what I should do, then, in order to get email that I wanted to receive and their only suggestion was that I get a hotmail account.

This feels like censorship to me. They let all manner of advertising through to my email but lists that I want I can't get. Has anybody else come up against this sort of thing? Is there any way to get through to Adelphia?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Barbara

Reply to
justasigh
Loading thread data ...

What spam settings are you referring to ? There are none on my account that I know of, so either you have managed to set some or there's something different about your account.

I'd just like to know how you determined your email was being blocked by a spam filter.

Reply to
$Bill

I think they already gave you the best idea of how to deal with it. If you don't like how they handle e-mail, go elsewhere. There are plenty of free places to go, or you can get your own domain, and be responsible for your own filtering.

It's their network. Their servers. They get to run it the way they want to. Your choice is to use it or not.

Reply to
Warren

If you have an ISP, the easiest way to get your mail is through the email address(es) supplied by your ISP and to forward any other email addresses to that address. The ISP shouldn't be dicking with your email without giving you total control of the dicking with.

That's crap. I'm on Adelphia and to the best of my knowledge, there are no SPAM filters and if there were, there damn well better be a way to turn them off. I might buy some *outgoing* SPAM filters being a necessity, but not incoming - that should be controlled by the user (hopefully with some optional, free and easily accessible tools by the ISP).

Reply to
$Bill

I asked the Adelphia tech support. The listserv was working perfectly, I can get it on a free email account and the tech support stated clearly that they decide what's spam and won't change it for you.

Reply to
justasigh

Unfortunately, they have spam filters that work behind the scene. And no, there are no way to control the settings--I looked for a way because I'd thought that when I first signed up with Adelphia they had a way to "whitelist" email addresses, but no longer. I verified all of this with their technical support--they decide what's spam and your only option is to get a hotmail account, according to them. I just really feel that this is meddling with my email unfairly. Unfortunately, once again, I have no other options for broadband in my area.

Reply to
justasigh

This may help - there are some controls. Go to mail page.

Click on Settings -> Parental Controls and/or Click on Settings -> Message Filters

Make sure they're all off (or set to your preference).

Here's some of the junk mail page (unformatted) :

Junk Mail Automatically delete or file junk mail before it reaches your Inbox. Don't filter Junk Mail Delete incoming Junk Mail Place in Junk Mail folder for each Submailbox Allowed Senders and Domains Enter allowed email addresses and domains below. Place each email address or domain on a new line. Blocked Senders and Domains Enter blocked email addresses and domains below. Place each email address or domain on a new line. Blocked Mail Actions Delete mail from blocked senders Forward blocked mail to the Head of Household Place messages in: Create new folder: Other Mail This setting determines what happens to messages from senders that are neither Allowed nor Blocked. Deliver all other mail Delete all other mail

Reply to
$Bill

| I subscribe to an innocuous quotations listserv, getting one email per | day. The email messages have a brief text advertisement at the bottom, | but it's only a small part of the message. My listserv messages stopped | a couple of weeks ago, and when I ascertained that the list was still | functioning, I looked for every way I could think of to get into the | spam settings to whitelist it. Not finding any way to do so, I asked | Adelphia tech support for help and was told that there was no way to | approve any particular sender--that if Adelphia decided it was spam I | couldn't change that. I asked them what I should do, then, in order to | get email that I wanted to receive and their only suggestion was that I | get a hotmail account. | | This feels like censorship to me. They let all manner of advertising | through to my email but lists that I want I can't get. Has anybody else | come up against this sort of thing? Is there any way to get through to | Adelphia? | | Thanks in advance for any ideas... | | Barbara

Verizon uses Brightmail SpamDetector (now Symantec argh...) and we can go to our account web page and enable or disable its application to one's email account.

You should determine if Adelphia does likewise.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Doesn't explain why I'm missing eBay and PayPal forwards from my domain server to my Adelphia email account. Maybe I should accumulate them on my domain and POP3 them back instead of forwarding.

Reply to
$Bill

What you may try, is getting another pop mail box somewhere, such as gmail or myrealbox.com (I don't know if they're still accepting new users) and configuring your mail client to receive mail from there too.

Reply to
James Knott

As others have pointed out, you're not limited to getting email via your ISP. There are scads of free and paid email options available.

Reply to
Bill M.

| | This may help - there are some controls. Go to mail page. | | Click on Settings -> Parental Controls and/or | Click on Settings -> Message Filters | | Make sure they're all off (or set to your preference). | | Here's some of the junk mail page (unformatted) : | | Junk Mail Automatically delete or file junk mail before it reaches your Inbox. | Don't filter Junk Mail | Delete incoming Junk Mail | Place in Junk Mail folder for each Submailbox | Allowed Senders and Domains Enter allowed email addresses and domains below. Place each | email address or domain on a new line. Blocked Senders and Domains Enter blocked email | addresses and domains below. Place each email address or domain on a new line. Blocked | Mail Actions Delete mail from blocked senders Forward blocked mail to the Head of | Household | Place messages in: | Create new folder: | Other Mail This setting determines what happens to messages from senders that are neither | Allowed nor Blocked. Deliver all other mail | Delete all other mail

I figured there /*must*/ be some form of user controlled settings !

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I'm getting the phish posts, it's the legit posts I'm missing. Like the "You made a payment' from PayPal and the 'Your question on auction xyz' posts, etc. I actually get the response from the eBay questions and not the question itself. :(

Reply to
$Bill

If you're not getting your phony eBay and PayPal messages, I'd be happy to give you some of mine. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

| | I'm getting the phish posts, it's the legit posts I'm missing. | Like the "You made a payment' from PayPal and the 'Your question on auction xyz' | posts, etc. I actually get the response from the eBay questions and not the | question itself. :( |

You know there is something wrong with their system when the spam and phishing email get through but the legitimate email doesn't !!

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.