X10 signal problems...

I have a leviton 6308 X10 photocell controlling 2 landscape lighting transformers in my garage. Ever since this was installed, it has never had a problem receiving the "on" command at dusk. About 2 days a week, the lights won't turn off at dawn. At first, I thout it was the photocell at fault, and replaced it, only to have the same problem with the replacement. Then I figured that since the transformers always turn on but have trouble turning off, that the transformers may be causing line noise. They aren't suppose to since they are the coil type but I plugged them into filterlincs anyway to check, and a few days later, same problem. Then I attached filterlincs to the 2 computer strips in the house, which actually improved the signal to some other modules, but again, the transformers didn't turn off this morning. The only other electrical devices that are on overnight into morning are 3 portable heaters, 2 oil filled radiators and an older electric element type. Do these cause line noise? What else can I try? I've thought about just getting a Powerlinc (1132CU) and just configure it to send a repeated off command multiple times at dawn to increase reliability. What do you guys think?

Reply to
mike2711
Loading thread data ...

1. Are you aware of the phase problem with X10? I.e., the transmitter is on one side of the +120V - neutral - -120V feed and the receiver is on the other. You may get a reasonably good signal path between the two when a 240 appliance, like an electric stove or hot water heater, is operating and a poor (or no) signal path otherwise. Check the phases - you may need a signal bridge.
  2. You may have noise from appliances like TVs, VCRs, and stereos even when they're "turned off". (The power supply has to be operating for an IR remote to "turn it on".)
  3. Depending on what other loads you have on the power lines, you may just have a marginal signal. And having the transformers operating is the final straw.
Reply to
Charles Sullivan

I installed a phase coupler/repeater and haven't had any X-10 problems since.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

OK, last night I tried a few things. I turned on the fluorescent light in the master bedroom, I was able to turn off the transformers. I then turned on the 3 portable heaters 1 by 1 and the transformers turned off every time! I don't think the Signalinc bridge will work because the controller and modules are all on one phase, in fact they are all on one circuit. I can't imagine the signal not being strong enough because the controller (photocell) on the outside is about 2 feet from one of the modules! Is it possible that the Leviton 6308 just simply isn't sending the "off" command every morning? I called Leviton and spoke with a tech guy and he said he uses the same photocell for his landscape transformers. He had the same problem and bought a Boosterlinc which resolved the issue, BUT Boosterlincs are about $100 and that's an expensive gamble! Is it possible the Leviton doesn't output a strong enough signal? When it does send the "off" command it does control a module upstairs on the other side of the house though, so how could it be a weak signal? Any ideas?

Reply to
mike2711

Just checked and the controller is not sending the signal through a GFCI outlet....

Reply to
mike2711

What I meant to say is that it's not hooked up to a GFCI....the problem still exists!

Reply to
mike2711

Install a coupler/repeater. The repeater portion will amplify and re-broadcast the signal.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Install a coupler/repeater. The repeater portion will amplify and re-broadcast the signal.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Do you guys think the Leviton is just simply not sending the "off" signal in the morning?

Reply to
mike2711

It's probably sending it, it's probably weak, and it is probably encountering some line noise.

Amplify the signal.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

This morning the transformers failed to turn off. I took a module which was in the "off" position and plugged one of the transformers in, using the same house code, in a powered outlet. So at this point I had one transformer on and one transformer off. If the Leviton sent the "off" command at dawn, once I trick the photocell to think it was dark it should have sent the "on" command to the module. It didn't. Once I uncovered the photocell, it sent the "off" command. So.....the Leviton

6308 photocell doesn't reliably send the "off" command every morning! I've wasted some money on filters, etc. I guess my alternative is just to use an X10 timer (not very practical) or a Powerlinc 1132CU (more practical). Are these reliable? I have read where they don't keep accurate time, etc. I had bad experiences with the CM11 in the past...
Reply to
mike2711

You're asking for advice, and then discounting what people are telling you.

Amplify the signal with a coupler-repeater. Of you're uncomfortable using the hardwired version, use the plug-in type at a 220v dryer outlet. This will fix your problems now, instead of blindly troubleshooting the intermittent failures and quirky nuances inherent to X-10 for the next 10 years or so. Most X-10 controllers, as designed, put out a piss poor signal, and you will never completely remove all sources of interference. Think of X-10 as whispering to someone across a table at a noisy restaurant; they won't always hear you- But, if you whisper into an amplified bullhorn, they WILL always hear you.

AMPLIFY IT AND COUPLE THE PHASES.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

What is an amplifier or a coupler going do for me if the Leviton isn't sending the signal in the first place! If you read my previous post, I stated that! I don't need to couple the phases because when the Leviton DOES send the signal, it is reached throughout the house. I'm not trying to start an argument, BUT don't accuse me of discounting advice I receive here, because I value what everyone says!!

Reply to
mike2711

Mike, you asked for a solution, and I provided one. Your "rationale" might seem sound to you, but you are not a professional who has dealt with many X-10 installations and troubleshot hundreds of X-10's little bugaboos. I understand the nuances of X-10, and have a good idea of what your problem is, and how to fix it. Chances are that it IS sending the signal, Mike, but it is "drowned out" by line noise of some sort. X-10 devices put out a really crappy signal, Mike- it is very weak in most cases, and the line noise present almost everywhere only compounds the problem. Amplifying and repeating the signal solves the vast majority of issues like yours.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

And, by the way, it is NOT unusual for a controlled device to receive an ON command reliably and not receive an OFF command. This doesnt mean it isn't sending the command. This puzzles most folks, since it would seem to reason that if one type of command is received, all will be. The reason this isn't the case has to do with the type of line carrier signal sent by each command. For more information on X-10 waveform protocol, and to get at least a vague idea about what I'm talking about that will help you understand why amplification is the solution to your problem, try

formatting link
or Google "X-10 protocol" and read up on the technology. Then you can buy an Amplifier/Coupler and solve your problem.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

When you say amplifier/coupler...are you talking about Smarthome's Boosterlinc? Which one do you use?

Reply to
mike2711

Leviton X10 System Amplifier/Coupler [Leviton HCA02-10E]

Leviton's new DHC module performs a variety of functions to ensure outstanding X10 / DHC system performance and reliability. It's recommended that any home with X10 products have either a simple signal bridge or a bridge/amplifier/repeater like this one.

Leviton HCA02-10E

begin 666 pixel_trans.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Your advice solved the problems I was having with my X-10 devices. I have been living with inconsistence performace for several years. X-10 controlled lights and appliances would or wouldn't work from day to day. I was frustrated, and ready to just give it up. I then read your advice about adding the coupler-repeater. I checked Smarthome, and they had the dryer outlet plug-in, and for $20 off during the holidays. I bought it, pluged it in, and for $69 and a few seconds of my time, appeared to have solved all my X-10 problems. In the few weeks I have been using it, I have had ZERO inconsistent performance problems with my controlled devices.

Thank you for the advice, and gving me renewed confidence in my home automation!

Reply to
John

I have a Leviton 6308 X10 photocell controlling module 4 codes. All 4 are on by the photocell, 1 is off by the photocell, 3 by a timer. It's been installed for 10-15 years, without any real problems. I get the occasional interference problem when something new gets plugged in somewhere, but once I find it and remove it, it's back to normal. Recently I started having intermittent on and off problems with the photocell. A regular controller works fine. I can't locate any new possible interference sources. I moved the photocell to a different location in the home with the same results. I have had a wired signal bridge the whole time. My feeling is something has gone bad, either the photocell or the signal bridge, I'm leaning toward the signal bridge. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reply to
etrandy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.