WinXP SP2 "pick strongest signal"?

My XP machine seems to want to connect to APs in the order it finds them in it's internal list of AP's rather than to see which of the available ones is strongest. Is there any way to have it pick the best signal?

It's really annoying to have it pick the one in the other house, with a couple of concrete walls in the way in preference to the one that's

6 feet way in the ceiling of the room I'm sitting in....

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

I had the same issue with a router that I don't want to connect to.

Go to the "change the order of preferred networks" select the one that you don't want. On the connections tab, uncheck the box. This should happen automatically if you connect to the unwanted one and select "disconnect" at the bottom of the "view wireless networks" page.

The unwanted router still appears, but it shows "manual" on the connect list. The only problem is it needs to be a different SSID from any of the routers that you want to connect to. There are lots of "Linksys". If you connect to a same-named router manually, it sets it back to automatic, instead of leaving the box unchecked.

Reply to
dold

You can just disable the Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP that is making the computer roam seeking out other networks to connect to. If you're not walking about somewhere looking to connect to other networks as you roam, then you don't need the service enabled.

You can use Google to search for *Wireless Zero Configuration XP*.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Microsoft has some good web site explanation of how WZC works. There is a set of rules that governs which APs are chosen. Definitely, the PREFERRED LIST is a good place to start. Just delete the other routers from the preferred list and keep one router there, which is YOUR Router. Also, WZC is supposed to scan every X seconds for a higher priority router, in the preferred list, and switch to it. Lets say you have ROUTER_A, ROUTER_B, and ROUTER_C in your preferred list, in that order. If ROUTER_A is currently not running and you have associated with ROUTER_B, then WZC will keep searching for ROUTER_A and if someone were to turn it on, it is my understanding that WZC will abandon your ROUTER_B connect and try to associate with ROUTER_A and get authorization to use it as your current connection. I have not proven this, but I believe the above to be plausible.

Reply to
Pat

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I've got two (soon to be 3?) APs in separate small houses next to each other. Sometimes I'm in the Pink house and want the "Pink" AP, sometimes I'm in the Yellow house and want the "Yellow" AP... I 'own' all of them, I just want to automatically connnect to the strongest one.

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Have you considered doing the all the same ssid thing and have em all the same?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Good luck!

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Yeah, but then it's hard to tell which one I have, and it still doesn't always connect to the strongest one. I suspect it connects to the first one it finds (maybe the lowest channel, if it's scanning low to high?). Maybe it's just the D-Link hardware, I'll have to try again with Linksys...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Doesn't really matter, it will go with whatever has the strongest signal as you travel around. In bigger buildings/campuses (like schools) people can walk around and will connect to whatever signal is strongest, and as they move around, will hand off.. (like a cell phone does when traveling between cell sites)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.