Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1

Hello,

Could anyone please help me out in the following problem?

Hardware:

• IBM laptop Thinkpad T30 Type 2366-B1U S/N 78-HFTB9 08/02

• Cisco PCMCIA card Aironet 340 11 Mbps 2.4GHz DS

System software:

• dual boot machine Windows XP and Linux

• Suse Linux 10.1, 'uname -rv' says '2.6.16.21-0.25-default #1 Tue Sep 19 07:26:15 UTC 2006', all patches duly downloaded and installed; using KDE

• infos from YaST/Network Devices/Cisco 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter: Hardware Details: Hardware Configuration Name: bus-pcmcia-0.0 Module Name: airo_cs (that is what it came up with at the installation of Suse)

Symptoms:

• under Suse Linux, I cannot get wireless connection to local WLAN; KWiFiManager shows excelent signal strength, KNetworkManager shows that the little blue progress bar for the connection process stops at about 2/3 of full length, SSID of local WLAN is recognized in both cases

• under Windows XP wireless connection looks okay

What can I do to make the wireless card work under Suse Linux?

In you reply, please be specific as I am not a Linux expert at all.

Thank you for your time and help,

Starl8gazer

Reply to
starl8gazer
Loading thread data ...

That's the problem with Linux when it comes right down do it, no damn support. I got nothing against Linux I got Suse myself, but if you want support you got to pay, which is not unlike MS.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

I assume thats why the OP posted here for sensible answers unlike your idiotic reply.

Dave

Reply to
gort

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 07:18:30 +0000, gort wrote in :

The only thing idiotic is childish name calling.

Support is in fact a significant issue with Linux.

Reply to
John Navas

That sounds like the radio part is ok. We need to know a little bit more, though. Presumably you have configured an IP address/netmask or is it DHCP? What does iwconfig eth1 (I'm blindly assuming eth0 is the ethernet port and eth1 is the wireless port) say? Are you using WEP?

Werner

Reply to
Werner

How sad, let us see some of that technical expertise out of you, partner, in the wireless NG about Linux. The fact remains there is no abundant support for Linux and it's a problem, for the average Job Blow home user. And if you have to post to a Linux NG, then you're most likely going to be called a bunch of names for making the post, which is not unlike you have done here.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

Ok aside from your silliness, why don't you ask the OP which chipset is actually on the wireless card as there are well know ones for which excellent solutions exist. Most problems with wireless and linux CAN be solved unlike your sweeping inaccurate statement. Support exists in lots of places for linux users, man pages and newsgroups like these are just 2. I have had lots of excellent support over the years and given plenty back. THe fact remains that twats like you put off people from getting to grips with linux by spreading FUD ( do you work for a large Redmond based company by any chance?). Stick to windows, it very user friendly HA HA.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Why don't you ask the questions and give the support instead of running your mouth on this or are you're too superior like most tend to think they are, when it comes to using Linux, just like you're showing here, once again?

Linux is not user friendly and it's a problem for the platform from the average Joe Blow home user, prespective. It has to be corrected, because they are not going to come to NG's and ask questions. They will pick up the phone to ask a 3rd party vendor about some software they are tyring to use or install on the Linux platform, only to get the response, we don't support Linux.

You need to go hurt yourself on your computer and drop dead, partner.

Anyway, I am already tired of you and your mouth.

You're just another lunatic home user running Linux.

adios muchacho

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

Yes I was just about to tell you to f*ck off and go back to playing with Uncle Bill

Reply to
gort

- soft logical

You should have your mama change your Pamper, give you your bottle with Riddlin and Prozac to calm you down - you're loose out of the play pin, and she can then put you in street traffic, where you can play, wirelessly. You don't have to drop dead that way. It will be painless for you when the MAC truck hits you, ridding your tricycle with red wagon in tow.

You can call Sir Hollywood News Clippings Willy/aka Billy to come and get you, if they can scrape you off the street, partner.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

Hi,

I'm sending an updated problem description including info addressing Werner's comments. In short, I'm using DHCP; WLAN is unencrypted; output from 'iwconfig eth0' see below.

Cheers,

Starl8gazer

Reply to
starl8gazer

Hi, Can you ping anything?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

Are you using WEP? If so, use the hex key, not the ASCII key.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi all,

I just noticed one more puzzling detail. As I said, the WLAN does not use any encryption, and hence my entries in YaST/"Cisco 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter"/"Wireless Network Card Configuration" are:

Network Name (ESSID): Authentication Mode: Open Key Input Type: Passphrase [defaults to this since...] Encryption Key:

Yet, in KWiFiManager/Scan for Networks I see Network Name: Mode: Managed WEP: on

Reply to
starl8gazer_remove_

starl8gazer_remove snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

Second try. You are apparently using WEP. If so, please use the Hex key, not the ASCII key. There are at least 3 different idiotic methods various manufacturers have elected to convert ASCII keys to Hex keys. They are mutually incompatible. Hex always works. If you want to know exactly how it (doesn't work), see the Perl code at:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff, all,

That's odd... I am told the local WLAN does not use any encryption, i.e., WEP, so I don't even want to use it. In fact, that's what seems to work under Windows XP. As I understand the instructions in YaST, setting the Authentication Mode "Open" should be fine then. Setting Key Input Type doesn't doing anything, i.e., setting it to Hex with empty Encryption Key and clicking "Next", brings up a warning, "Using no encryption is a security risk. Really continue?", I say "Yes" and "Next" and restart the YaST Network Config, it's back to "Passphrase".

Starl8gazer

Reply to
starl8gazer_remove_

Are you sure there's no encryption being used on whatever you're trying to connect? You can check with any site survey tool such a Netstumbler or Kismet.

What is "that"? Is it working under XP with WEP or with no encryption?

Open is correct. But it has nothing to do with encryption. It's what is used to authenticate after making a successful association and encryption key exchange. Open Authentication really means "no authentication at all".

Well, the settings you posted suggest that you have WEP enabled on your Cisco 340 wireless card.

I had lots of problems with the initial install and subsequent update when I tried SUSE 10.1. I had to go back to 9.3 in order to deliver a working server. However, there was no internal wireless involved in this system so I have no experience with the latest bugs. I couldn't find anything in Bugzilla for 10.1 that's related:

However, there are some notes that the network manager will screwup if you are using WEP but have a "hidden" (non broadcasting) SSID.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 12:53:08 +0000, gort wrote in :

Because he shouldn't have to know that, and that's beyond more users in any event.

By the self-professed "clueful" -- not by the "rest of us".

Most of which are unintelligible to the average person. You might as well write them in Chinese.

Sure, but that's you, not Joe Sixpack.

The fact remains that Linux proponents tend to do more harm than good with that kind of arrogant ranting.

Certainly more so than Linux.

Reply to
John Navas
[ was "Problem with Cisco wireless card under Suse Linux 10.1" ]

Hello,

It turned out that the Cisco _card_ was not the problem. Below is an updated problem description. In short, connection to local WLAN fails using (K)NetworkManager, yet is successful using "traditional method with ifup" in the Suse YaST network setup.

What is wrong? What can I do to make KNetworkManager and KWiFiManager work?

Again, in you reply, please be specific as I am not a Linux expert at all. The (potential) jargon you see is what I gathered from other people.

Thank you,

Starl8gazer

----------

Problem description:

--------------------

Hardware:

• IBM laptop Thinkpad T30 Type 2366-B1U S/N 78-HFTB9 08/02

• Cisco PCMCIA card Aironet 340 11Mbps 2.4GHz DS

Linux system software:

• Suse Linux 10.1, 'uname -rv' says '2.6.16.21-0.25-default #1 Tue Sep 19 07:26:15 UTC 2006', all patches duly downloaded and installed; using KDE

• infos from YaST/Network Devices/Cisco 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter: Automatic Address Setup (via DHCP) Network Name (ESSID): Authentication Mode: Open Key Input Type: Passphrase Encryption Key: Hardware Details: Hardware Configuration Name: bus-pcmcia-0.0 Module Name: airo_cs (that is what it came up with at the installation of Suse) DHCP Options: Hostname to Send: AUTO

Local WLAN info:

• no encryption, no authentication

Symptoms:

• choosing "User Controlled with NetworkManager" as Network Setup Method, I cannot get wireless connection to local WLAN; KNetworkManager sees local WLAN, but shows that the little blue progress bar for the connection process stops at about 2/3 of full length; KWiFiManager shows excellent signal strength and also sees Network Name, yet all entries of the local WLAN show WEP "on" which should not be the case; trying "Switch to Network" fails with error message "Aborting network switching due to invalid WEP key specification"

• choosing "Traditional Method with ifup" as Network Setup Method, wireless connection is successful; KWiFiManager again shows entries of local WLAN with WEP "on", but also one with WEP empty; trying to switch to it results in the same error message as described above

• when working with NetworkManager: output from...

michelson:/ # ifconfig eth1 eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:96:44:9F:C7 [ with traditional method, there is an extra line here with inet addr:.... Bcast:... Mask:... ] inet6 addr: fe80::240:96ff:fe44:9fc7/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:71697 errors:4011 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:4011 TX packets:28793 errors:286385 dropped:0 overruns:286385 carrier:0 collisions:1809 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:34389724 (32.7 Mb) TX bytes:8257695 (7.8 Mb) Interrupt:4 Base address:0x4100

michelson:/ # iwconfig eth1 eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"michelson" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:24:C8:9B:60 Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity=0/65535 Retry limit:16 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Encryption key:off Power Management:off Link Quality=41/100 Signal level=-75 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm Rx invalid nwid:11 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:3155 Missed beacon:0

Reply to
starl8gazer_remove_

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.