Nokia N80 and USB Wi-Fi Dongle

I have an N80 wi-fi smart phone and would like to use my ADSL broadband connection to browse the web on my phone instead of browsing via expensive GPRS. I do not have a wi-fi router installed. My question is this: could I create a wi-fi access point on my PC using a cheap USB wi-fi dongle (eg 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11G (54Mbps) USB Adapter) and enabling Internet Connection Sharing on the PC/device or is the only way to create the access point via a dedicated wi-fi router setup?

Thanks for your help.

Luigi.

Reply to
nobodyatthisaddress
Loading thread data ...

Depends entirely on your smartphone I guess. If you can put its wireless into an ad-hoc mode, then you could probably connect to a usb dongle on a PC, also in ad-hoc mode on the same channel, set up ICS or similar to bridge between the wireless and wired networks, and it might work. My own experience of ad-hoc is that its rubbish by the way.

Thats a lot of ifs. If you can afford a wireless smartphone you can afford another £40 for a wireless router !

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yes, i think it does do ad-hoc.

Money isn't the issue. We have already got the PC set up and working perfectly doing internet connection sharing and media sharing with our Xboxes. Everything is wired using crossover ethernet cables. However, a lot of people I know have had terrible trouble getting the Xbox 360 fully functional (networking wise) via wireless routers. Hence I dont want to have to reconfigure our entire mini-network with a wireless router risking instability in a perfectly stable setup just so as to get the phones wi-fi working - I am just looking for the simplest solution to get the job done.

I have since found a product to do the job. Its called 'wi-fi link' and is a USB device primarily intended for PSP or Nintendo DS online play but which also provides an access point for PDAs/laptops or other wi-fi enabled devices.

formatting link

However, thanks very much for your help.

Reply to
nobodyatthisaddress

Leave the Xboxes etc alone, just add a wireless AP to the network. It's getting sort of hard now (well locally) to find just APs anymore, so if you end up with a Wireless Router, just go into the configuration and disable routing and any DHCP services it wants to provide and just use it in AP mode. Shouldn't cause a problem to your existing network. This would IMO be your best solution longer term.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.