ISDN and Wireless

Help! Where I live I can not get DSL or Cable, and so I use ISDN, which works fine for my home office. I use a 3com OfficeConnect LAN modem, to which I have connected a pc, laptop and phone. Since the office doubles as a guest room, and my IBM laptop has a wireless G card resident, I'd like to use wifi to work in other parts of my small home when I have guests. I have had NO LUCK with wireless routers - both Lynksys and Netgear say their routers don't work with ISDN (which makes no sense to me, but what do I know?)

I emailed 3com with asking if there's a way to use wifi with their modem. They don't support that model anymore, but a guy there suggested that I need a wifi access point rather than a router.

What's the difference between an access point and a router?

Has anyone else out there succesfully used wifi with ISDN? If so, what's the trick?

Thanks,

Nikki

Reply to
NBaldwin
Loading thread data ...

If you have a spare port on your Lan Modem you can get an access point such as a

formatting link

Wireless routers are really a router with a built in access point. An access point is the device that actually talks to your laptop. Could be the 3com was having trouble with the router part. I would try an Access Point and see if it will work ok.

Reply to
Airhead

(snip details of someone with an ADSL modem/router they're trying to use with wireless)

Buy yourself a cheap AP and plug it into a spare port on your officeconnect, which I believe has a builtin 4-port switch.

Nothing, except a wireless router has a WAN port for connection to the internet, and probably some sort of firewall, and probably a 4-port switch builtin. :-) The wireless side is identical.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Thank you both for your assistance. Nikki

Reply to
NBaldwin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.