How many AP's do i need?

Hi all, im soon to setup a wireless bridge for a friend.

There is 2 buildings involved, they are approx 100-150 feet apart with line of sight. my aim is purely to provide internet access to what is really an out-house for now.correct me if im wrong please, i was thinking i would need 4 AP to do this, i had the Linksys WAP54G's in mind. with these i would have 2 of the AP's in bridge mode to create the 'link' between the two buildings, and another 2 which would be connected to each of the access points in 'bridge mode' at either end. allowing the laptop to connect. any help is greatly appreciated!

due to the location of the access point which will be in line of site, they will be to high up in the building for the wireless to reach down to ground level, so a cat5 cable will be run from the access point in 'bridge mode' down to ground level where the access point in normal would be, which is the one the laptop would connec to. sorry ifthis souds confusing, would be easier if i could draw it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
g2oob
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:06:03 -0500, g2oob wrote in :

The link is wireless Ethernet client bridge to wireless access point. To have wireless in the remote location, you need to wire a wireless access point to the wireless Ethernet client bridge.

If the remote link wireless access point has a directional antenna, wireless in the main location might need a wireless access point.

All access points run in bridge mode.

Reply to
John Navas

Literally speaking, no...four Linksys WRT54G devices won't work.

Option 1: Load a third party firmware to a Linksys WRT54GS (Linux OS).

Option 2: For the wireless link part: Use a WRT54G wireless router unit out of the box and a WAP54G Access Point. The WRT54G should running straight bridging mode (not as a router), i.e connect your existing first building WAN to one of the four LAN ports on the WRT54G.

The WAP54G can be set to bridge or client mode. In bridge mode, you can connect it another WRT54G (as above) or WAP54G for the remote access point. This is the preferred method as it will pass full DHCP support form the first building's WAN and you can have multiple computers behind it. In client mode, its nothing more than a laptop wireless card in functionality (although you could use a WRT54G in routing mode behind it as your access point then).

a) LAN > WRT54G ~~ WAP54G (bridge) > WRT54G (LAN ports) > PCs with native IPs

a) LAN > WRT54G ~~ WAP54G (client) > WRT54G (WAN ports to LAN ports) > PCs with new IPs

Reply to
DTC

You're right about using two access points as a bridge. But you may want to start by putting up just the first one and using a directional antenna on it. Point it at the second building and see if a computer in there can maintain a decent signal. If so, you're done! If not, then yes, you'd probably want to pull wire down from the access point in the outbuilding and setup another access point there. That will let this third router provide coverage just in the second building. You may want to lower the power level on it to avoid covering any further than necessary. As for a fourth router, if you want to keep wireless coverage in the first building, yes you'd need it.

But I'd start by setting up that second router in the first building and seeing how well (if at all) the signal is received in the second building.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.