Dumb Newbie Question

I recently purchased and installed a D-Link DSL-G624T Wireless Router on my Desktop PC to enable my wife's laptop to share the same internet link. Fine! Everything works wonderfully! Now the stupid question - How do I get the two PCs to share files and folders? - It would be good if they could communicate with each other they could both use the same data. I haven't got the foggiest how to start! Hope someone can help Regards

Reply to
Kenny
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane Many, many thanks for the two links you included. I have tried desperately to understand them and check that all is as required. Unfortunately there is still no sign of being able to use the two PC's for either file or printer sharing.

Can I just ask a few dummy type questions:

1. Does the D-Link Router DSL-G624T support the kind of wireless network I need - I know it already supplies an Internet service to all computers as that works well - But is this router capable of sustaining this type of wireless home network.

1. I have noted both of the PC names and ensured they are part of the same workgroup. Is this important? How is the workgroup name and the network name related?

2. I have setup the wireless network following instructions - but neither machine seems to acknowledge the network at all. - Despite what it says, it is not shown in the 'network places'.

Sorry to be so thick, but nothing I do makes any difference. Thanks for your patience - any help greatly appreciated. Regards

Reply to
kenny

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:41:47 +0100, kenny wrote in :

Have you run the Network Setup Wizard?

Yes.

It helps.

They aren't.

Only "network shares" will show up in Network Places, not the network itself.

Try these resources:

Try pinging the other computer by IP address. Try Search for the other computer by name. Open a command window, and run "NET VIEW".

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.