BEFSR41 Router + WAP54G AP ???

I like access points because they can be placed anywhere - and don't have to be placed where the cable modem and router is. Typically they have more functionality that you may or may not need. Also - if a component fails - you don't lose all the devices at once.

If get a wireless router, then the BEFSR41 could be used as a backup in case the wireless router fails. The again there is eBay - LOL

Reply to
riggor99999
Loading thread data ...

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 4-port wired router connected to my Westell 2200 DSL modem. I'd like to add wireless capabilities to my network. If I stay with Linksys it appears I have two options. One is to buy a wireless router that also has wired ports, or add an access point like the WAP54G. Since the WAP54G is more expensive than a wireless router, is there any reason to go with the WAP54G? Seems that my BEFSR41 investment is now a throw-away unless it would provide some extra measure of security or other advantage if used in conjunction with the AP.

Thanks.

Reply to
<nowhere

I thought the WAP would have to be conntected via CAT5 to the router or directly into the DSL modem.

Reply to
<nowhere

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.