Re: [telecom] Do you know a telegraphy expert? [Telecom]

> I'm trying to locate an expert who knows a lot about telegraph

>> signalling, especially the technology used during the Civil War. > > Even a 50 year old book may have references to legacy technology.
[ ... ]
Indeed, did the technology change that much from the Civil War to WW > I? Perhaps technical books of WW I might serve your need and be > easier to find.

When I worked for United Press in Dallas in the 1950s, Western Union still had Morse operators skilled in the Phillips code (a sort of shorthand or brief code designed especially for press work, using the full range of Morse characters) who used keyes (straight or bugs) and sounders to send and receive. It was a delight to get them on temporary private line circuits from sporting events or other major news events because they understood the needs of press work and with their keys and sounders were faster in real world output than those circuits set up by W.U. with teletypewrtiers (and manual keyboard ones at that).

In 1945-46 I wrote the play-by-play for University of Oklahoma football games at Norman with a Morse operator by my side. I type each play on the typewriter and he sent it in real time looking over my shoulder as I typed it. Again a very skilled professional.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

***** Moderator's Note *****

One Phillips Code abbreviation continues in use to this day: "POTUS". It means "President Of The United States".

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Wes Leatherock
Loading thread data ...

Also SCOTUS, and possibly others:

formatting link

Reply to
jtaylor

not exactly what you're looking for but chapter 19 of "The Art & Skill of Radio Telegraphy"-

formatting link
has some good backgound info on the very early days of telegraphy.

H
Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.