Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] High stakes fueling patent wars
High stakes fueling patent wars No clear victor as firms fight it out in court By Hiawatha Bray Globe Staff / December 26, 2011 A patent lawsuit won last week by iPhone maker Apple Inc. represented a...

I'd rather be right [telecom]
I came across the following while looking for something else, and I'm taking this opportunity to help its author strike a blow for all the bright young kids who had to deal with brain-dead school...

[telecom] A Dispute Over Who Owns a Twitter Account Goes to Court
A Dispute Over Who Owns a Twitter Account Goes to Court By JOHN BIGGS December 25, 2011 How much is a tweet worth? And how much does a Twitter follower cost? In base economic terms, the value of...

[telecom] Hacked!
Hacked! As email, documents, and almost every aspect of our professional and personal lives moves onto the "cloud"-remote servers we rely on to store, guard, and make available all of our data...

Merry Christmas [telecom]
For those who observe the December 25th holiday, I wish you a Merry Christmas. For those with other beliefs, please accept my assurance that my spirit of goodwill is towards /all/ men, no matter their...

US Congress still trying to sell SOPA in the face of widespread opposition [telecom]
US Lawmakers are backpedaling on the Stop Online Piracy Act now being considered by the House of Representatives. The bill's sponsors are, however, refusing to withdraw the measure, which is aimed at...

Bell Canada tells Canadian regulators it will end P2P traffic shaping [telecom]
Bell Aliant and Bell Canada have informed the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission that they will end traffic-shaping on P2P transfers. from Michael Geist's blog: Bell advised...

Sprint sues Cable Giants over digital phone technology [telecom]
CNET - by Roger Cheng Sprint fires off lawsuit at cable giants Sprint Nextel has sued several cable providers over what it claims is the illegal use of its digital phone technology, further fraying an...

AT&Ts failed bid for T-Mobile will be quite expensive [telecom]
By Sean Ludwig - The Washington Post The dust is settling on yesterday's news that AT&T has given up its T-Mobile acquisition plans, and it turns out the dust is quite expensive. Because its proposed...

EFF reverse engineers Carrier IQ [telecom]
EFF reverse engineers Carrier IQ By Sebastian Anthony December 22, 2011 At this point we have a fairly good idea of what Carrier IQ is, and which manufacturers and carriers see fit to install it on...

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski comment on ATT - T-Mobile debacle [telecom]
Statement from FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski regarding AT&t Inc.'s abandonment of its proposed acquisition of T-Mobile USA Inc. The FCC is committed to ensuring a competitive mobile marketplace that...

FTC warns that expanding DNS could lead to increased fraud [telecom]
FTC Warns That Rapid Expansion of Internet Domain Name System Could Leave Consumers More Vulnerable to Online Fraud Letter Urges ICANN to Implement Pilot Program, Take New Steps to Protect Consumers...

Stanford professor files net neutrality complaint against Verizon Wireless [telecom]
by Grant Gross on The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) should investigate Verizon Wireless for allegedly blocking Google Wallet on a new smartphone available to the carrier's customers, a...

The Myth of the Bandwidth Hog [telecom]
In the Level 3 blog, Mark Taylor speaks out against charging heavy data users extra fees: It seems like every method we use to access the Internet, wired or wireless, has some sort of data consumption...

Next wave of GPS promises stronger signals [telecom]
Next wave of GPS promises stronger signals DAN ELLIOTT December 19, 2011 The future of the Global Positioning System is taking shape in a vast white room south of Denver, where workers are piecing...