Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

MetroPCS 4G Service Issues [telecom]
So this past week my Samsung SCH-R910 started exhibiting odd behavior. Voice calls would not work. But SMS and net services all worked just fine. Finally a few hours later the phone started working...

Question about fax call-blocking (based on Station-ID?) [telecom]
I understand that group-2 fax machines exchange some electronic information when a fax is sent from one machine to another. This information includes the phone number and company-name that is...

How CyanogenMod's founder is giving Android users their privacy back [telecom]
New "Incognito Mode" enables more granular privacy settings than in stock Android. by Florence Ion - June 17 2013, 7:45pm EDT What if you could privately use an application and manage its permissions...

Verizon telemarketers violating laws? [telecom]
I received a telespam today from someone identifying herself as being with Verizon. She asked if I was the person in charge of the RCN account. Well, yes, my phone comes from RCN. How does Verizon...

Microsoft Writes Off $900 Million on Surface Tablets [telecom]
By David Gilbert, International Business Times, July 18, 2013 | Microsoft has reported lower-than-expected quarterly profits with | share diving 5% following the news. | | Microsoft on Thursday...

[telecom] Android vs. iPhone: Why Apple still has the edge over Google's operating system.
Give Me Back My iPhone! Android is a wonderful operating system. But most Android phones are crap. By Farhad Manjoo July 17, 2013 Slate Magazine Six years ago, Google launched an unconventional effort...

[telecom] Millions of US license plates tracked and stored, new ACLU report finds
Millions of US license plates tracked and stored, new ACLU report finds Alarming number of databases across US are storing details of Americans' locations - not just government agencies Ed Pilkington...

[telecom] Telemarketers call in reinforcements as they ignore do-not-call list
Telemarketers call in reinforcements as they ignore do-not-call list Complaints by those in the federal Do Not Call Registry are on the rise as telemarketers use robocalls and 'spoofing.' By David...

[telecom] The Apple 'Kill List': What Your iPhone Doesn't Want You to Type
The Apple 'Kill List': What Your iPhone Doesn't Want You to Type The Daily Beast Jul 16, 2013 Spell 'electrodialysis' wrong in a text, and Apple will correct you. Miss 'abortion' by one letter? You're...

[telecom] Google Said to Weigh Supplying TV Channels
Google Said to Weigh Supplying TV Channels By BRIAN STELTER July 16, 2013 If Google has its way, you might someday get cable television the same way you get Gmail: through any ordinary Internet...

[telecom] Universities Face a Rising Barrage of Cyberattacks
Universities Face a Rising Barrage of Cyberattacks By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA July 16, 2013 America's research universities, among the most open and robust centers of information exchange in the world,...

Capability to examine all worldwide data in motion in realtime exists today [Telecom]
Over the years I've posted articles to about Carnivore, Echelon, and the Russian's SORM programs which includes using fiber optic splitters (aka "PRISMs") on all the Internet backbones. Several years...

[telecom] Appeals Ct. won't take "Aereo" case, so lower ruling stands
[Crains NY] Appeals court said it won't review Aereo case The broadcast television networks lost a bid to have the case against the online TV service reheard. The U.S. Court of Appeals in New York had...

[telecom] Attention, Shoppers: Store Is Tracking Your Cell
Attention, Shoppers: Store Is Tracking Your Cell By STEPHANIE CLIFFORD and QUENTIN HARDY July 14, 2013 Like dozens of other brick-and-mortar retailers, Nordstrom wanted to learn more about its...

New details on Skype eavesdropping [Telecom]
Background noting Microsoft now owns Skype: The 15-JULY-2013 Bruce Schneier CRYPTO-GRAM email report is full of incredible new revelations of NSA (and other) spying and I've only focused on Skype in...