Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

NBC: How our phones became our whole lives in just 10 years
NBC News reported that our phones are amazing, but we have come to rely on them too much. I see it every day when trying to recover the minutiae of a life from a ruined device. A person who runs a...

California Supreme Court Incommodes Wireless Access To Rights Of Way [telecom]
by W. Ray Rutngamlug and Amanda Witt Amidst the ongoing power struggle between communications service providers striving for unfettered access to rights-of-way to place their facilities, and...

Re: Of course AT&T is outsourcing thousands of jobs after
This is a far cry from the past, when the Bell System often bragged about hiring multiple generations of families "35 members of her family worked for the telephone company" "575,000 workers in the...

Has AT&T actually stopped selling your location data? We could find out in 2020 [telecom]
By Don Difurio A digital rights nonprofit is pressuring a U.S. district court to force AT&T to turn over evidence that it no longer sells customers' location data collected by mobile phones to third...

Wired for sound: How SIP won the VoIP protocol wars [telecom]
From the archives: An in-depth look at VoIP, specifically its past. By Gilad Shaham Update: We're in the last throes of winter break 2019, which means most Ars' home office phones can stay dormant for...

No One is Ready For California's New Consumer Privacy Law [telecom]
Just like the GDPR, it's not totally clear what it means to be compliant with the CCPA By Kim Lyons The California Consumer Privacy Act goes into effect January 1st, and it doesn't look like anyone,...

Of course AT&T is outsourcing thousands of jobs after getting a massive tax cut last year [telecom]
It's bad enough that AT&T cut thousands of jobs (after promising to create thousands of new ones) despite saving a reported $3 billion thanks to the Trump tax cuts that were signed into law in...

Telecom Digest Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) [telecom]
The list of Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) for the Telecom Digest is located at . It is posted to the Digest at least yearly, and whenever there is a major change. Please feedback...

Happy New Year! [telecom]
Happy New Year! It's 2020! I hope that you and yours have the best of the year to come, and of many more to follow. We all can look to a better future if we work for it, so let's try to help each...

Re: How Your Phone Betrays Democracy [telecom]
I'm puzzled by the NY Times' sudden urge to start pointing out how cellphones are so dangerous to those needing privacy. ISTM that this has been a long-standing problem, and yet I've never seen...

WV: Cedarville residents raise concern after losing phone service
"I got up that morning and checked my email. Got online, on Facebook for a little bit. One of my neighbors had posted asking if anyone else's phone was out. I went and checked ours and sure enough it...

Washington: People with CenturyLink service experiencing phone
People with CenturyLink service experiencing phone outage in Ocean Shores OCEAN SHORES, Wash. - People who live in the Ocean Shores area are experiencing a phone/911 outage, according to Grays Harbor...

The best phones of 2020 [telecom]
Since 5G connectivity to folding screens, telephone companies are innovating faster than ever to capitalize on unlimited offers of data, calls and text messages from many operators. While the Samsung...

A Net-neutrality prediction that was a bust [telecom]
By ANTHONY DAVIES and JAMES R. HARRIGAN The internet as we know was supposed to come screeching to a painful halt over a year ago when net neutrality's repeal went into effect. You might dimly...

2-month, 5-letter quest to correct TV bill ends in one phone call [telecom]
By Chris Rickert What Kathy and Terry Edwards didn't have was a "security pass code." What they did have was proof - and the address for SOS. The Edwardses, of Friendship, wrote in early December to...