Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Marathon Co., WI officials say long-term solution needed for people unable to call 911 during phone outages
WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAW) -- Marathon County officials say a long-term fix is needed for residents affected by extended Frontier phone service outages in the county. Frontier Communications, representatives...

Shreveport, LA wins multi-million dollar lawsuit
The City of Shreveport has won a pretty big legal fight. Shreveport filed suit against telecom giant Centurylink Communications for franchise fees. The city has an agreement with CenturyLink dating...

Commissioners 'ashamed' of CenturyLink after 911 system outage in Page, AZ
By: Claudia Rupcich PAGE, AZ - Members of the Arizona Corporation Commission told CenturyLink the company has about a month to fix service issues in Page before they take the next step that could lead...

Early radio telephone [telecom]
The Saturday Evening Post did a 1945 article describing early radio telephone systems and how they might be used. https://archive.org/details/the-saturday-evening-post-1945-07-28/page/n17/mode/2up

Verizon outage hits Western Pennsylvania
By Tawnya Panizzi Cellphone outages and spotty service were being reported by many Verizon Wireless customers Tuesday morning, with problems popping up across the Pittsburgh region and beyond....

CenturyLink customers could experience issues calling 911 in Jasper County, SC
SOUTH CAROLINA (WTOC) - CenturyLink customers in Jasper County may experience issues when calling 911. Centurylink residents encountering a challenge contacting 911 can call (843) 726-7519 to report...

Misleading Advertising: The Promoting Of The Forthcoming 5G Technology
by Ricardo Henriques The validity of an advertising campaign entitled "NOS Presents | A generation without limits", where a mobile 5G communications tariff was promoted as limitless ("unlimited mobile...

Canada: Broadcasting And Telecommunications Legislative Review Panel Releases Its Final Report To The Federal Government
by Paul Burbank and Scott Prescott On January 29, 2020, the Broadcasting and Telecommunications Legislative Review Panel (the Panel) released its much-anticipated Final Report and recommendations to...

Lions and Bears and Iowa and Apps, Oh My!
(Opinion) It might just turn out that the apps used to report the Iowa caucus results were Gerrymandered to misrepresent the data. It probably won't. It may just turn out that the apps were created by...

A Systemwide Disaster: How the Iowa Caucuses Melted Down [telecom]
"A Systemwide Disaster": How the Iowa Caucuses Melted Down Unexplained "inconsistencies" in results, heated conference calls and firm denials of hacking left the contest in a strange state of almost...

UPDATE: 911, Verizon service restored in Upper Michigan Friday morning [telecom]
By Andrew LaCombe (WLUC) - 911 emergency services are back online Friday morning throughout Upper Michigan after a recent system upgrade caused a widespread outage for about five hours overnight....

Verizon hit with extensive wireless, net outages throughout North Carolina, South Carolina [telecom]
Updated 1:30 PM ET Jan 31, 2020 By Jazmin Goodwin Verizon customers have been reporting widespread outages across North Carolina and into South Carolina. Customers reported service outages with mobile...

CenturyLink & Frontier Failed to Meet FCC Broadband Requirements [telecom]
by Jess Barnes CenturyLink and Frontier each received federal funding to expand their broadband networks in rural areas, but have reportedly failed to meet the requirements for that funding. ARS...

I have returned, and a big "Thank You" to Fred [telecom]
Hello again: I am back from my unwanted vacation. The "issues" have been handled. My thanks to Fred Goldstein for his help during my hiatus: the system didn't work as well as we had hoped, but I'm...

I'm going away for a few days [telecom]
I'm going to be taking an unexpected vacation from the digest, and I'm happy to say that Fred Goldstein has generously offered to fill in while I'm gone. Please give Fred any help you can, and let me...