Need Home Theater Receiver Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive home theater receiver to replace my existing receiver. As I've upgraded my components, I'd now like to have the ability for the receiver to accept HDMI input (2 or, ideally, more inputs) and send HDMI out to the TV.

My ideal setup uses the TV like a monitor, such that the receiver uses the HDMI inputs for both the video and the sound. I'd like the sound to be distributed by the receiver as encoded - 5.1, etc., with the video displayed on the TV via the HDMI output. I'd prefer the receiver to display volume and programming on the screen.

As I research models, it is hard to figure out which HDMI ready systems are merely "switching-only", thereby seemingly just passing the video and sound along to the TV. For example, Harmon/Kardon makes the distinction, though others do not.

My current wiring is for 5.1 with pre-out RCA for the subwoofer. I'm perfectly happy with that setup and probably will never use the 7.1 of the newer systems.

Reply to
jonjkelly
Loading thread data ...

I personally like the Denon line. The price depends on how much power you want to output to your speakers. It also offers the ability to "zone" your audio.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I too have been happy with Denon. The one I have has 2 hdmi in and one out for the monitor. (AVR 1908).

The odd thing, is to have menus on-screen, I need to run s-video to the TV in addition to the HDMI, and then switch the TV to the svideo input to use them.

I'd suspect that this has changed in the newer models. (it seems the last digit in the model number is the model year, and I got mine in early '08)

Reply to
J Miller

I was really careful to purchase the newest receiver. I decided not to go through Best Buy because their "deal" involved an older model without the latest HDMI connection. Mind you, I confess that the price certainly made it tempting, but then common "cents" prevailed and I sourced it through one of the suppliers I deal with. I don't have the same problem with the onscreen menus.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank - Which model specifically?

Reply to
jonjkelly

AVR-888

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.