diy squirrel shocker

How do I build a squirrel shocker for my bird feeders?

Reply to
jaepa
Loading thread data ...

With great difficulty. They need to be grounded when they touch what is live. As they jump between places they won't be grounded.

Best is to get one of the squirrel proof feeders. It should work for a few years. Then, after they figure out how to get the food, you need to relocate all the local squirrels that have this knowledge. Then you have a few years again of the squirrel proof feeder actually being squirrel proof.

Don.

formatting link
(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Couldn't you hand the feeder from a PAIR of cables, one ground, one hot, close enough together that squirrel would contact both to climb down, but kept seperate from eachother with non-conductive spacers?

Or, make a pole that is an insulator sandwiched between two conductors. I can envision a copper pipe, split lengthwise. Attach each half to a "core" of wood or PVC sized so that the copper pieces wrap snugly but without touching...

(patent not pending)

Reply to
Noel Versten

*Hang* not hand. (where is the "edit post" button?)
Reply to
Noel Versten

I like it.

Now, assuming the goal isn't to kill them, you need a fence charger:

formatting link

Don.

formatting link
(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Why don't you mount the bird feeder on a 6-8 ft smooth metal pole which you also grease with something really slippery? That way at least you also get some entertainment value from watching the frustrated squirrles sliding down the pole.

Reply to
Rover

, close enough together that squirrel would contact both to climb down, but kept seperate from eachother with non-conductive spacers?

I can envision a copper pipe, split lengthwise. Attach each half to a "c ore" of wood or PVC sized so that the copper pieces wrap snugly but without touching...

We did basically that to keep our cat from jumping over a brick wall and le ave our courtyard.

6 wires closely spaced apart at the top of the wall alternating between gro und and hot....fed by a 6,500 volt cattle fence charger (the 500v version d idn't phase the cat). the fence charger pulses every second...she got her head between 2 wires and ZAP, she flew off that wall and hasn't even glance d up at the top of the wall since.
Reply to
fearless

I tried K y (had to space auto correct changed spelling). Did not stop them.

Reply to
boomer68974

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.