Attn Dave Houston

Hi Dave,

Hope you don't mind this direct contact. Your name and FCC compliance with 315MHz RF gear seems to be bantered around a bit on this list. I'm located in Australia and developing some products that I would like to sell world wide. In Australia we have a public domain frequency of 433MHz that does not require any licensing or testing provided it is within the permissible power requirements. It appears that 315MHz in the US is allocated for similar usage but may require FCC testing or compliance.

My question to you is, do you know of any links to FCC that I may investigate and or other sites.

Thanks,

Neil.

Reply to
Joe Bloggs
Loading thread data ...

Or anybody else for that matter, that may be able to answer the question of requirements and possible links etc.

Neil.

Reply to
Neil Wrightson
433MHz is also OK here for unlicensed use but the power limits (whether for 315 or 433) are much, much lower. Certification testing is required for all transmitters and certification or Declaration of Conformity testing is required for receivers. Both certification and DOC tests must be done by an FCC certified lab.

The latest FCC part 15 Rules are always available at...

formatting link
They are not easy reading. They explain "Certification" and "Declaration of Conformity" as well as test procedures and power limits.

You will also need to test for Canada and European Union countries. The Canadian equivalent of the FCC is "Industry Canada". The European agency is "CE".

What is your device?

Testing here will cost $US3000-5000 per model, per frequency.

The best way to proceed is to find a certified Australian lab that can test for all of the markets where you want to sell your device. It may cost less for tests if you use 433MHz everywhere.

This l>Hi Dave,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks David,

Big help.

Neil.

Reply to
Neil Wrightson

You didn't answer my "What is your device?" question. There are restrictions on what a device is allowed to do and on how often and how long it can transmit. You cannot send continuous data. Some devices face even more severe restrictions on radiated power.

I forgot to menti>Thanks David,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Here's another URL that may prove helpful. It summarizes requirements and limits and has URLs for various regulatory agencies around the world.

formatting link
Some USA manufacturers of RF transmitter, receiver & transceiver modules intended as subassemblies of finished products used to provide excellent guides to the testing requirements and FCC process. I think Linx may still have relevant app notes on their web site.

http://www.l>Thanks David,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.