netscreen5 keeps losing the IP from the cable modem

I have this issue that I obtain a dynamic IP from the cable modem and from time to time I loose the IP from the untrusted interface. I have the untrusted interface set for 'Obtain IP using DHCP'

To resolve I have to recycle the modem and netscreen at the same time.

I have a Motorola SURFboard SB4100 cable modem - could there be an issue with this modem?? Or the netscreen?

Any help would be appreciated!

Alain

Reply to
alavel
Loading thread data ...

if a ping 192.168.100.1 works, then you still have connectivity to the cable modem.

If dropouts are regular like every 40 hours or so, maybe the dhcp lease is not being renewed. If sporadic, maybe cable modem signal.

Check signal levels during outage at http://192.168.100.1 Cannot get to 192.168.100.1 then problem is between modem and pc or cable modem is bad.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Bit Twister Thanks for the suggestion. I was certain the Cable modem was the problem; however I went directly to the computer from the modem - fine

I also ran the netscreen off a linksys router given dhcp with the lease set for every 5 minutes. I did this for 3 days --- fine

I'm back to my original setup: Cable modem -> netscreen - > switch

What I have noticed is I do not lose dhcp, but doing pings, all is OK till I hit the Default gateway of the ISP.

Any ideas? or suggestions?

Thanks, Alain Velis

Reply to
alavel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.