Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Tyler VZW
October 5, 2016, 3:29 am
rate this thread
I would recommend a Viavi/JDSU or EXFO test set. They are designed to do this
kind of testing.
There are other cheaper alternatives out there as well. They will generate a
constant stream of traffic and analyze it.
You can test Head to Head or to a Ethernet Loopback (or loopback device such as
I understand why this testing is necessary, for those that do not get it. A BERT
is still the gold standard for establishing network reliability.
If you or a customer is paying for a 6 nines link it is a prolonged BERT that
determines if they are getting what they are paying for.
A RFC-2544, Y.1564, True SAM, and other test are helpful but a BER test will
find problems they will not.
This kind of test seems very necessary for a Ethernet link that goes through a
- » NYC local event: UNIGROUP meeting Thur 16-MAR-2017: DataCenter Structured Cabling Trends
- — Next thread in » Ethernet LAN
- » NYC local event: UNIGROUP meeting Thur 16-MAR-2017: DataCenter Structured ...
- — Newest thread in » Ethernet LAN
- » How does Allied Telesis CentreCOM TM AT-210T and AT-210TS Micro Transceiver work
- — Last Updated thread in » Ethernet LAN
- » CenturyLink's Turnaround Efforts Hit a Snag [telecom]
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » General Telecommunications Forum