How to do BERT testing on an Ethernet?

> > > Folks, > > I need to perform the equivilent of a bit error rate test on an > Ethernet segment running through a synchronous serial satellite modem. > In the old days of synch serial data comm one would simply use a synch > serial BERT device and generate a pattern and check for pattern sync, > slips and BER figures. > > Now I need to make the same type of measurments on an Ethernet. I have > found software which essentially pings over an extended period of time > and reports packet loss percentage and such. But this does not > translate to a true bit error rate. > > Can anyone suggest a method, device or software to achieve this goal? > > Thanks in advance, > > Mitch > >

Mitch,

I would recommend a Viavi/JDSU or EXFO test set. They are designed to do this kind of testing. There are other cheaper alternatives out there as well. They will generate a constant stream of traffic and analyze it. You can test Head to Head or to a Ethernet Loopback (or loopback device such as an EtherNID). I understand why this testing is necessary, for those that do not get it. A BERT is still the gold standard for establishing network reliability. If you or a customer is paying for a 6 nines link it is a prolonged BERT that determines if they are getting what they are paying for. A RFC-2544, Y.1564, True SAM, and other test are helpful but a BER test will find problems they will not. This kind of test seems very necessary for a Ethernet link that goes through a satellite.

Tyler

Reply to
Tyler VZW
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.